ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

2-part silicone mould release agents.

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

2-part silicone mould release agents.

Postby Toys » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Need some help since I'm new to moulding and casting. To be clear here, this topic is on release agents used during the creation of a 2-part mould to prevent the halves from fusing together. Currently I'm using Ease Release 200 for this purpose, but this stuff costs a lot to ship, so does anyone know of any good alternatives I can have ready access to (in the USA)? I've heard some say petroleum jelly does the job well. I am going to probably be using Oomoo 30.

Thanks in advance.
Toys
Casual

Re: 2-part silicone mould release agents.

Postby Nutso » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:25 am

Ease Release 200 is definitely the best product to release silicone from silicone but THINNED petroleum jelly can be used as an alternative. The key word being thinned.

You can use mineral spirits to thin down the petroleum jelly to a thin liquid. When doing so, make sure you thorough mix it so all the lumps are gone. When you think you've mixed it enough, go ahead and mix it some more. Any lumps will create a void in your mold. These lumps tend to gather in corners, especially next to your original and will make for an undesirable part line. Brush it on thinly and let the mineral spirits evaporate and then put another thin coat down. Let that fully evaporate before using.
Nutso
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer