ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Board Game advice

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Board Game advice

Postby map1984 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:21 am

Hi,
I want to make a board game, the board itself (small about 1ft by 1ft) needs to have a little frame on it though, just like a picture frame. I could just lay in a piece of MDF and apply a pirinted sheet to it, but I'm wondering if I could cast the whole thing somehow, as one big part? I'm worried it'll be weak and cost a lot though?
Any help or thoughts would be amazing,
Thanks,
Mark.
map1984
Casual

Re: Board Game advice

Postby zombieking » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 am

1ft square isnt so large that it should be a major issue... depends on the thickness of the resin, and some resins are quite brittle whereas others have a little flex to them. One with a little more flex would probably be better.

You could always put a support mesh into the board... give the mould a flowcoat of resin to capture all of the detail. When that has started to cure, fill the mould - and then put a 1ft square piece of mesh/ cloth or something to act as a support which will be embedded into the cured resin.

Though, probably the simplest solution would be to just cast your board and then glue it to an appropriate size backing (mdf, acrylic, card, whatever) to provide the support.
zombieking
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer