[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Superheavy Assault Walker
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Superheavy Assault Walker

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Superheavy Assault Walker

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:19 pm

This is a placeholder post introducing the project. Normally collaborative projects will only have sneak peaks posted in the laboratory but seeing as this project has always been very public on ATT and Wargamerau and that it's nearly finished I figured I might as well dump it in a thread here ;)

I'll write some more description here later...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Superheavy Assault Walker

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Just some quick shots showing the result of last night's puttying. I'm loving how the little discs on the side of the chassis turned out!

mangozac

Postby Warhound » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:49 pm

Sweet!

That works really well mate! I assume the rest is to be filled in between the disks as a second stage?

The underside shot is nice, as this is not an angle much seen. I would proffer that the ball/ torso needs some random panel lines, just to break up the expanse, possibly the odd recessed vent or bit of tech also?

The side shot also really highlights the difference on the hatch sensor pack- very nice sillouhette now!

The engine block and rotators are still my favourite areas, and these under shots back that up- its so smooth and tight! I am sure the main hull will be to these same exacting standards and can't wait to see it finished!;-p

Cheers
Warhound
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Actually there is no second stage - I wanted to leave a recessed area like that. That's why when I sent you the concept sketch it had the piping in those spots.

Yes, the underside needs a bit more sanding before it gets panel lines and final details. That will likely be one of the last things to be done.

Getting the joins between the rotator ends, front and rear chassis to be snug has taken a lot of work but is certainly paying off.

Oh BTW note that I've made a new bbcode tag called rimg. Use it instead of the img tag and it will resize your pictures to fit in the forum and provide a link to the big image. The images must have a 4:3 width to height ratio though.
mangozac

Postby Warhound » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:12 am

AH- I wondered why the piping had been added.

I think that at the moment, the disks are left hanging- and would actually benefit from being fully 'enclosed'... by puttying up to, but leaving a recessed ring around them, it will fully describe (fuel?) casks that have been inserted into the relevant air tight containers and then twisted to lock in place...
Think the scene from Star Trek v BORG film (cant remember the title) and Captain Picard is on the dish, trying to free up the magnetic clamps- they have a twist and plunge cask type feel to them?;-)

I hope that makes sense?

cheers
Warhound
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:17 am

Yes, I think I will enclose the discs, mainly because if I were to leave as is there would need to be a lot of fiddly cleanup of the straight edge. If I putty right up to the discs all I have to do it run the scriber around them (before the putty sets) and the panel line is perfect ;)
mangozac

Postby Warhound » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:18 am

Thats's the one! Ease and a crisp finish all in one go!;-)

cheers
W
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi guys, this is a really quick update, only because I promised Warhound I would ;)

I didn't actually do any modelling today - the weather is too nice so I ended up down the beach instead! the main thing I had to show is what the right side of the chassis is looking like. I have a sneaking suspicion that Warhound won't be happy with it but I really don't want to play with this area much more.

I've also done a lot of miscellaneous puttying around the place but none of it is exciting enough to take a picture of. the rear of the chassis is now ready for final detailing.

You saw it here first!
mangozac

Postby CMDante » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:18 pm

Looking good mate!

It certainly has the Tau aethetic to it. Looking forward to seeing the rest so I can get a better idea of the final look your going for.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Hey Dante, here's the thread over on ATT where I recently posted the overall shots:

mangozac

Postby CMDante » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:49 pm

Awesome!

Can't wait to see the finished cast versions!

CMDante
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:19 pm

Hey, no update but a quick reminder for Warhound to give me some feedback on this, seeing as the latest progress shot was just for him :p

I've got exams over the next fortnight, which means study/modelling time! The rear of the chassis is very close to done so the plan is to finish that off, then finish the forward chassis. I'll probably do a heap of priming with the Mr Surfacer as soon as the rear chassis is done. I have in fact done an initial priming of the foot and pistons but it has revealed some flaws that I need to clean up before I prime them again ;)
mangozac

Postby Warhound » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:10 pm

Warhound

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:13 pm

You know, Mark, buddy, sometimes you're not my favourite person in the world :x ..... :roll: ....... :lol: ...... :P

So as much as I don't want to redo the discs on the side of the chassis, I admit it needs to be done, so I submit the following 3 options:

All to scale - the large discs are 8mm and the smaller ones/fan are 7mm diameter. I'm particularly interested in the right hand side one as I'm dying to use one of those fans from the P-129 koto sprue!

I don't like the idea of having little buttons to the side of each disc (if going for the left hand side version) like we had discussed before, but it otherwise does need some further detailing.

In other news the rear of the chassis is 99% done - I did the final major puttying, detailing and panel line scribing today. All that's left is some quick gap filling puttying and she's ready for priming. I wasn't going to post pics until it's primed but I might do so tomorrow and get feedback to make sure I don't need more panel lines before the priming.
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:55 am

To me, the thing that bothers me most about the discs is that they are completely vertical rather than the design. If I had to choose an option from the above selections, I'd probably go with the the second option because I think it would make the smallest visual impact on the design as a whole. I think the vertical orientation bothers me because most of the other lines in that area are flowing toward the front sensor. In my mind, these three discs halt that nice sleek flow for no apparent reason. Sorry to be harsh, but those are my thoughts. I think you'd be better off to do only one or two discs or to lay them out in a more horizontal layout.

Other than that, I'm liking the look. Thumbs up from me. ;)
Xeones

Next

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding