[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vaaish Paints.... things....
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish Paints.... things....

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Vaaish Paints.... things....

Postby Vaaish » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 am

I posted over on Port maw, but yes, they are done using templates. Basically cut the window out of a piece of masking tape and affixed the tape to the side of the ship as a guide to paint the lines. I did find out that thicker lines are better because you can more easily tell what they are once they get broken up with stuff like the cannons one the side being painted silver or just the natural breakes that are caused by all of the raised details on the hull.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:01 pm

I made some progress to night on the DIY swap marine from over on Bolter and Chainsword. With a bit of effort I finished up the head. Decided to spend some time working with some different colored metals as well as eyes since I don't typically experiment there. Same with the flesh. Overall I'm fairly happy with the result.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Hehe very T-101 ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vaaish » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:26 pm

yeah. the guys chapter I got is big into bionics so he got this head. I've since fixed the eye. the iris was too small so he looked like his eyes were open really wide.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 am

Vaaish

very sexy painting you got there guy!! I really like the dread, and I might steal some ideas from it!!

Very nice guy! :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:23 pm

thanks! Well time for another update. This guy is nearly done, tomorrow afternoon I'll be painting his banner which will probably take all afternoon to finish up. In the mean time, here's the rest of him assembled and ready to go minus a few touchups and some markings on the knee pads.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Very nice again....

what are those Cyber bits?? are they standard bits or are they made by you??
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:06 pm

As fantastic a job as you've done, the most impressive thing is that you have "script" lines on the purity seal. Who says all that Epic painting doesn't go to good use :P

I've really got no other comments to make these days because your painting is just so damn pretty!

MJ: Vaaish is secretly a talented modeller and he made up those parts himself ;)
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks! I will say the epic painting has had that effect :) Really helps motor control. Of course I'm still working on the lettering bit... and we still have to see how the banner freehand will turn out. and the knee pads. Probably just going to put a tactical arrow or number on the non bionic one.

MJ: I can't take credit for all of the bionic bits, just the leg. The arm is from some sprue Xeones had and handed to me for the swap and the head is from the bitz box.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:57 am

Well they are very well done. I recognized the head but the arm and leg threw me. Now I know why.... :mrgreen:

Would you mind sharing your recipe for bionics? or is it a "make it up as I go" thing??
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:23 am

it's more of a make things up as I go. I know the general areas that need to look like they can move and that 40k likes pistons to do a lot of that so I just start building around those concepts and see what happens.After that I just fiddle with it until the aesthetics are right.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I finally have primer again so I'm back to work on the warhounds. I don't often do this, but at the request of the guy I'm painting them for, I'm doing a few WIP shots of the painting progress on the warhounds. At this stage, the basic dark metals are finished and ready for final touchups after the rest of the model is painted. The next step is the blue carapace although I'll more likely finish up the yellow on the cockpit and the green window as well as the green for the plasma coils before serious headway is made on the blue.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 pm

It's always edifying to see WIP shots. Of particular interest is the way that you do so much of the underlying metal work before any of the bright armour colours. Thanks for sharing!
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 pm

That's because metals require lots of washes and drybrushing which can be pretty messy. Doing metals first lets me keep from doing carapace touchups where it would be harder to match colors.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 am

I has suspected as much ;)
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Painting