[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Skaven of Morr / Moulder
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Skaven of Morr / Moulder

Discussion of painting

Moderator: Wardens

Skaven of Morr / Moulder

Postby BlueRonin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Well, after several long delays I've finally undertaken my first Warhammer Fantasy Battle commission and the army requested is Skaven. This isn't much of a resin-related thing, but I thought I'd share it because I have been experimenting using some good references other's might find interesting for their resin painting projects.

I've been trying to get my head around how to approach this project for quite some time, especially since it includes more than 200 models and the owner is known for his attention to detail and appreciation for a clean style. Wanting to accommodate that, I've been researching painting techniques until I came across Thomas David (, scroll down to The Art of Thomas David: Speed Painting). This guys is, without a doubt; my new hero! ;)

In any case I began by dividing up some of the many Skaven I was given and picked out units from the owner's wishlist that correlated with the Island of Blood (IoB) set. Construction was pretty straight forward apart from an annoying habit of the IoB Skaven to push their arms out of their sockets while the glue was drying. All the Skaven were clipped off their base and pinned to bases supplied from the owner, the Cobblestone Ruins from Dragonforge ().

The Skaven were then undercoated Chaos Black and I broke out my airbrush to start working on the new style of technique - zenithal highlighting with airbrush covered with brush-painted washes and glazes.

I decided to work with Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown and Bleached Bone. To begin with I used 4-5 layers, mixing as I went along; but I worked out that I could start straight with Bestial Brown and Bleached Bone and stick to 3 layers.

The idea is to let the airbrush build up the gradient on the model, creating an overall monotonous shade/highlight effect. I've only used my airbrush on vehicles until this, so it was a learning experience getting the pressure and viscosity of the paint right. I don't feel I'm anywhere near mastering that yet.

This shot shows the shades, but if you flip a model over to view it from the zenith the color will look more even:

Once the models were airbrushed, I started glazing them up. First off was Boltgun Metal on all armor, weapons, and other metal.

After that I continued with glazes of Scab Red for robes, Graveyard Earth for wood, Tin Bitz for brass works, and Calthay Brown for leather. Once all that was dry I washed the glazed areas with Devlan Mud to accentuate the shade. I also washed the fur with Devlan Mud while I was at it.

The pictures are crap, but should give you a rough idea. If you want to learn about the technique, buy and download Thomas's video from Miniature Mentor - it is awesome!

Once I got this stage I separated out the units (for my own sanity) and started working on their finish. Highlights of the robes were given selective glazes of Blood Red, and prominent leather features Snakebite Leather.

The skin had become too pale (next batch I'll airbrush Elf Flesh instead of Bleached Bone in order to add some more pink to the mix, heating up the temperature), which I solved on the fly with a quick but careful drybrush of Vermin Brown - then I glazed the skin areas Ogryn Flesh. The mouth was glazed with Baal Red before painting the teeth Skull White - and eyes were painted Blood Red with a dot of Blazing Orange.

Other details were finally covered, then I moved to teh bases. They got a heavy glaze of Mechrite Red, the airbrushing creating texture and gradient there as well. Then I washed it Badab Black, drybrushed brick with Blood Red and some Blazing Orange. Finally I washed rubble area with Devlan Mud and drybrushed the same area a bit with Codex Grey for a dusty effect.

For every unit I finish I learn and refine colors and technique, and once this batch is done I'll re-watch Thomas's video before going on with the next batch to freshen up my ideas.

I'm happy with the way they are turning out, but I wanted to share this particular project as an example of how certain sources and references can totally change how you paint - or at least give you a lot of new input.

Once I get comfortable with this, I'll finally be doing the Eldar army I've been dreaming of for years. My vision wouldn't allow me to paint it because it didn't suit the style I used for army painted (where speed and consistency is the essence), but this will open new doors!!
BlueRonin
User

Re: Skaven of Morr / Moulder

Postby Dragonforge » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:41 am

Looks great.. Ive never seen a complete fantasy army done yet with my bases so I look forward to it.

Dave Taylor will have a Empire army done soon on my Temple Series.. would be cool to see the two on the table top against each other..

I sent you a message over on the APOC forum.

Jeff
Dragonforge
User

Postby BlueRonin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks!

Hehe, I actually played Dave once already - in Adelaide down under. So it would be fun to meet him again on the other side of the planet and throw some dice around! :)
BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:01 am

Great stuff Sasha! You've certainly got more patience than I taking on a commission of so many troops, but it looks like you've got a solid, fast process sorted. At first I felt the red pavers to be a little much, but on further study it actually works well blending in with the colour of their cloaks.

I hope this won't take too much time away from your resin projects :P
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blind pig » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Is Dave Taylor still kickin' around?

I remember him as a Red Shirt at my local GW store, many, many moons ago.......
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Dragonforge » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Dragonforge
User

Postby blind pig » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:39 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby BlueRonin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:22 pm

The second unit of Clanrats of Mor:

BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Wow man they look fantastic! Not quite showpiece quality, but far better than the usual tabletop standard! How many hours do you think each unit took?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:41 am

Thank you, sir :)

I'm currently averaging just under 20 minutes - from box to tabletop - after 60 Skaven.
Last edited by BlueRonin on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlueRonin
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:15 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Seb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 am

Really impressed with the results, I'll reiterate Mango's comments. I completed a few for a Warhammer Quest project last year and you could just keep painting and painting the lil'guys. Great detail for just line troops.

They've really responded well to the technique you've used.

Also, Dave Taylor.. haha, yeah I remember him from Brisbane. Been fun seeing his collection grow during his time state side.

- Seb.
Seb

Postby BlueRonin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 pm

The Skaven Army expands with some giant rats from Clan Moulder.

The first unit...

And the second...

These were painted with a bit of a mixed technique. Although the rats got the zenithal highlighting done with airbrush as well, most of the end results are due to my usual drybrushing and washing as opposed to glazing.

And while I'm at it, here are some 'family shots' of of the Packmasters done so far. These are painted just like the Clanrats.

Sorry the pictures aren't any better - couldn't get a good angle with my phone. Monday I'm meeting a guy to help me start sorting out a softbox for proper shooting!
BlueRonin
User

Postby BlueRonin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Some more reinforcements from Clan Moulder...

...and a bit of fire support:

The Rat Ogres got some additional attention of various washes to give them some color (especially red, purple and blue in their scars), as they looked a bit plain after I had simply copied the technique from the smaller Skaven.
BlueRonin
User

Return to Painting