[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Project Log: Superheavy Assault Walker
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Project Log: Superheavy Assault Walker

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Project Log: Superheavy Assault Walker

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:41 pm

I'll paint the base camo colour on the troops the same colour as the SAW itself. When I paint the sand I'll do that a different shade to differentiate. Good point about helmet off though - might be the easiest way to go. What other pieces of equipment would they have with them that aren't pointed in camo?

I was looking at the rail rifle on the laying Pathfinder this morning and decided that it is such a crappy design and cast that I'll cut off the entire barrel and make up something new and better.

Oh and I was going to order a to stick inside the SAW's top hatch, but I swear there's been a price increase - I'm not paying 7.2 pounds (plus postage) for a resin figure that looks so similar to the standard plastic FW! Looks like my FW resin virginity will stay intact for now...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:14 pm

You forget I'm on the opposite side of the globe - it's only midday here :P

Thanks for the equipment pics! I facepalmed when I saw them - adding pouches will be a quick, easy way to add detail the the minis that can be painted a different colour! Of course I don't have any pouches to add so I'll have to do some quick sculpting ;)
mangozac

Postby Arkangel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm

I have a couple of Assault Vests in Desert/Flat Brown Camo with Various different Load outs. I can post some pics for you but one's back at home(Coyote Brown one), which to be honest is the better of the two :oops:
So I won't be able to throw those up til the weekend maybe. That's if it'll help? I don't want to swamp the thread with MJ and mine's 'Kit 'O' Rama' as we try and post pics of who's got the best pics of Gucci Kit :mrgreen: Also my MTP(British MultiCam) stuff is also at home so I can get you some really nice Close Up Shots of the pattern lay-out too if you want? I'll be heading home this weekend so let me know mate.
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Hahaha thanks for the offer mate but I think I've got it pretty sorted ;)

I cut out and routed the sides of some 18mm MDF tonight. Then hacked up a bit of insulation foam to fit and create the hill. It's looking quite good but the trick will be to pose the SAW so that it's level. I'll be finding some rod for pinning tomorrow (was thinking of just using some big nails) so should be able to get the legs posed on Saturday...
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Arkangel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:05 am

Ok so the VAT increase wasn't quite 10% BP (It went from 17.5% to 20%), Damn if it had been that much I think people in the UK would be giving the Egyptians a run for their money!! :lol:
However it has increased all of GW's prices even after they put them up in the summer :evil:
Have you thought about contacting Warhound Zac? He's gots loads of stuff he never uses and he's got more random bits than you can shake a stick at. He's prob got maybe 2,..or 12!!!
If that's the case I can send it with the bits I'll be sending over to you shortly :o Or would you like me to contact him, see what I can rustle up?

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:26 am

Yeah I thought the tank commander had been 5 or 6 quid so irrespective of VAT the sneaky buggers must have bumped up the prices. And aren't international orders VAT free like they are GST free here?

Is it really that important to have the tank commander? I'll hit Warhound up and see if he's got one spare. He owes me anyway ;)
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:21 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Arkangel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:45 am

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:16 am

I appreciate the offers for Military reference pics guys. Handy to have ;)

I was contemplating modelling them as "dug in" with a little foxhole for the kneeling guy to be peering out of, but the prone guy sculpt has to be on a flat surface so he would be out of the hole...

Like I said before, I don't want to make them too well hidden, as I do want them to be fairly visible to the observer.

What other non-pack gear would they have in the fox hole with them? Some Tau looking comms gear? More weapons? Perhaps I should have a little pod that would have been dropped to their position with ammo and stuff...
mangozac

Postby Arkangel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:06 am

Depends on how long they've been there? If you're going for the story aspect you've got to think these gys have been out on their own for a while following an Imperial/Ork collumn waiting for a chance to call in the big guns for an ambush.
If it's a little dug out then maybe there's a small rolled up camo-net they've used to cover their position and now they've packed their kit ready for the off as they have to move quick once it all kicks off. Maybe some small sensor unit or mini drone that is some kind of jammer to help conceal their position and also act as a mini scout. They would have pulled in their area defence kit too. Trip flares, Claymore(AP mines) the sort of stuff placed out side their perimeter to protect them from being snuck up on and to give them early warning. As for extra weapons the Sniper would always have a standard rifle with his Sniper weapon in a 'Drag-bag' specially designed to carry it. They also have really cool Bergans/Rucksacks now with special sniper slips for the weapon. I'd go with the carbine for the snipers back up with the observer having his close to hand too. NEVER more than arms reach away! Oh and Ration packs..they gotta eat too right? ;)
I know this is a lot of kit but it depends how far you wanna go with their part in the diorama and how much of a story you want them to tell. Plus the key is, how long have they been in the position waiting/observing?
Hope this helps mate and it gives you some more food for thought?

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:25 am

To be honest this feels like it's starting to get a bit out of hand, but I think it's purely because I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the idea of having to sculpt up so many bits of equipment. Perhaps I can sculpt and then cast them as Tau flavoured equipment bits.

I'll give it some more thought and planning.

Oh I emailed Warhound about the tank commander, but if you speak to him please check if he received it - his email can be flaky at times...
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Arkangel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 am

It may seem a little over-whelming but it'll be worth it. You want it to tell a story so sometimes you've got to flesh out the background. You can either make some one off's or cast some bits and throw it out to the community as 'alien equipment packs'. Has anyone done anything like this on ATT? I'll be honest I havent been on there since you started this site and migrated the SAW thread here. It was the only reason I joine ATT :mrgreen:
I'll drop Warhound a text, and I'll see if he's got himself a new land-line from one of the other guys and tap him up that way.

Arkangel
Habit

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling