[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 3d Stuff
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

3d Stuff

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

3d Stuff

Postby paulson games » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:06 am

Here's a render of my first ever model:

I'm very happy with it being a first attempt, I need to fix a few minor things and it'll be off to printing. :)

Last edited by paulson games on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: 3d rifle

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:23 am

Thats pretty Sexy Jon!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Munkey Joe on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:07 am

Yeah great work Jeff :P

(It's actually Jon, MJ) ;)

I suppose having a bit of familiarity with weapons helps in the design of them!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:45 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby BlueRonin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 am

/hi five - looking good!
BlueRonin
User

Re: 3d Stuff

Postby paulson games » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:21 pm

New model:

Last edited by paulson games on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
paulson games

Postby Barn » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Lookign fantastic :)

So I take it these could be used with a 3D printer then cast? Or are they just to make idea's for people to scuplt from?
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah he'll be getting them 3D printed and then cast duplicates.
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm green with envy :mrgreen: See? Mr Green.

It is the future of modelling and gaming. Want an Ork Nob on Warbike? Pay a small fee, download it and print it yourself! (hopefully nicely painted :lol: )
blind pig
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:58 pm

I totally agree about it being where miniature design is going to be heading, At the moment the price point for printing is a bit prohibiative for the casual user to run off armies worth of printed figures, but as with all technologies it will improve in quality and become cheaper over time.

With Zbrush you can make incredibly detailed organic models so there's really no limit to how detailed the models can be, the printing end is still catching up but it's gotten really good if you have the budget.

These I'll be printing out then cleaning up to use as masters for casting.

I doubt that the 3d modelling will ever completely replace scratchbuilding by hand as there are a few things that are easier to do by hand than on computer but the precision that 3d gives for mechanical parts is amazingly good. It's very fast to clone parts and recycle them between models, once you have a working library of parts you can slap together models incredibly quick.

It'll take a long while but eventually I want to work up to this level of detail:
paulson games

Postby Barn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:30 am

mind = blown.
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:04 am

mangozac

Postby paulson games » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:09 am

Update :

More professional Zbrush hotness:
Last edited by paulson games on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
paulson games

Postby blind pig » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:52 am

What axe? that pic is just too good. :lol:

As to scratchbuilding v's 3D printing, I guess it'll be like e-readers v's books. E-readers are great, but nothing beats the experience of the feel and smell of a paper book.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:22 pm

mangozac

Next

Return to Digital Modelling