[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Factor40's Public Display
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Factor40's Public Display

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Factor40's Public Display

Postby factor40 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:14 am

I have a quick question for RA readers. Look at this this...

Are the berets better with the patch, or without the patch? When answering, consider the question from a hobbyist/painter perspective.

factor40
Habit

Re: Factor40's Public Display

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat May 14, 2011 2:52 am

on 28mm heroic scale the patch would be small. I like the patch though. I would make it larger (more heroic than heroic) and keep the patch.

Something about the size of midline nose to outer half of the eye or about 1.75-2X the current size. heres example pics....

So kinda like this:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat May 14, 2011 11:09 am

I support MJ's suggestion - keep the patch and make it bigger. It's the little details like that which take a mini from being OK to high quality!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Hatemonger » Sun May 15, 2011 4:02 am

I would say it's all or nothing: either make it bigger to make it more usable, or ditch it.

I agree with MJ and Zac that ideally it's better to keep it. If nothing else, it seems like it would be easy enough to file off if someone truly did not want it, and I think it has a lot of potential for those who take the time to use it.

BUT, that assumes it's big enough to do something useful with. If all you could manage is painting it a solid block, it won't be that interesting. It also looks like you put a sort of 'rim' around the patch, and I'd extend my point to that as well. If it's big enough to reasonably use as a different color trim, then that's great, and would make it easier to do, say, multiple units with variant patches. If you can't do that, it's pretty much worthless, so you might as well not have the rim and go with a flat patch with more room to put transfers or freehand.

- H8

PS: They look cool, by the way. :)
Hatemonger
Casual

Postby paulson games » Sun May 15, 2011 5:13 am

I like the patch and it looks correct for most spec op beenies.

If customers don't want a patch it'll be very easy to scratch off with a file or hobby knife. The head model is excellent and if you can get it to print like that I'd likely buy some for some command squads or NCO officers.
paulson games

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon May 16, 2011 1:49 am

I like H8's idea with the rim/border. it looks as if you already have a small one on there so if your wanting to change your mesh a bit maybe thicken that up a touch?

And I forgot to post in the first response but your spot on a "actual" scale real life model. Im saying to exaggerate the size for a effect. props to your skill though as its spot o to a realistic size.

Interested to see what you come up with.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:13 am

Something like this?

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 am

The one on the left is good. The one on the right is a bit warped. That said, I think the raised edge will have to be much bigger to get it to actually print. You should talk to Paulson about minimum sizes of features.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue May 17, 2011 3:12 pm

I agree. The left one is better. the right looks like you used a distort tool..... :mrgreen:

That is pretty much what i was saying though. it looks better IMHO!
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Arkangel » Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Hey Guys,
Just a quick input as I dive in and out of the forum. I had a good look at this and saw something somewhere else being done by a fellow RA Memeber. If you go check CMDante's blog here: http://cmdante.blogspot.com/2011/03/fir ... t-iii.html
He's been sculpting some rather nice berets for his Tanith guys. Could be worth a look?
And to be fair our ex-colonial brothers have never been able to wear or shape a beret that doesnt make me LMAO whenever I see them.!! Ha Ha Bless. Sorry MJ, but you could land a VTOL aircraft or a Chinook on half of the ones I've seen worn by US Servicemen/women!!!!! :mrgreen:

Hasta :twisted:
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu May 19, 2011 3:11 am

Ah yes... Good to see you Ark

And Yes There is a PVT Murphy cartoon about it if I can find.... I remember when you had to earn the black beret. It made you special, a Ranger, not just a fashion statement. Those were the days, I gave up my maroon beret to wear the crappy black one..... :twisted:

and back on topic, those sculpts are awesome.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:14 am

Here's a render of some heads with berets. I tried to get some variation in every face. I also think offering 10 instead of 5 is the way to go. Personally, I don't like having my troops looking like a bunch of identical twins ;)

factor40
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu May 19, 2011 10:37 am

Now THOSE are damn sexy..... Daddy like!
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:28 pm

I have seriously reconsidered the idea of making things 28mm heroic. After meticulous measuring & analysis of bits by (name omitted for fear of lawsuit), I have come to realize how completely ill-proportioned that stuff is. It is either one of the most brilliant marketing tools I ever seen or the most hair-brained. I'm not sure.

I know that most people are ware of the unrealistic proportions but when you start to try and apply those proportions to something you create that is based on a properly scaled model, it becomes an exercise in futility. I think I'll be going with straight forward 28mm figures and maybe just do some heads and weapons for the "heroics"

Along those lines, I just got back a new print of a model I did. As soon as I can get it primed, I'll post some pictures.

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:49 pm

So here is a concept I've been working on. It's what I call Greatcoats 2.0. Figuring out how to get it into reality will be the next challenge.

factor40
Habit

Next

Return to Digital Modelling