[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Factor40's Public Display
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Factor40's Public Display

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Factor40's Public Display

Postby mangozac » Tue May 31, 2011 2:07 pm

Looking good! I assume there's still quite a bit of detailing to go, such as on the upper torso? The head looks a little small too... ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby factor40 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 pm

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:00 am

Here are some shots of a recent 3D test print I had made while exploring a new direction. First up is the 3D model, as rendered in Blender:

Next is the actual print of that model. Although there is some graininess from the crappy picture, it should be clear how little details get completely lost in the printing process:

And finally a comparison to our favorite 28mm heroic legs:

The scale is not the same but that's something I can address later.

Well, that's it for now. I'm still refining the Greatcoats mesh and I'll have something more to show on that soon.

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Wow talk about trial and error! The 3D model looks good but like you say you really need to get a better idea of the requirements in terms of minimum detail sizes. Where did the print come from? - it looks very chalky and a pretty poor resolution.
mangozac

Postby factor40 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:35 pm

I get my printing done at a place called C.Ideas here in Illinois. Unfortunately, I can't speak to the quality of the resolution because this is the only place I've ever had any 3D printing done. As far as I am aware, PolyJet offers the highest resolution possible and that is what my guys use for these jobs.

I've spoken to John at Modeller in the past about some work, maybe I should contact him again and see if he can offer a better product. I'm also looking into the possibility of doing these in plastic but the costs are sooo much more.

factor40
Habit

Postby NoseGoblin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:05 am

NoseGoblin
Casual

Postby factor40 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:24 am

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:23 am

mangozac

Postby factor40 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:36 am

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:46 am

Here's some more renders of my 3D modeling progress so far. This rendering engine isn't quite as nice as the other but it certainly conveys where I'm going with this.

These are still very WIP, I still have to work on the coats and get them shaped properly and add some other cool stuff.

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:25 pm

They're coming along nicely! I can't imagine how hard it is to be modelling all of that fabric in 3D - I imagine that is one of the most time consuming parts?
mangozac

Postby factor40 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:40 pm

To me, it's like working with resin casting and mold making. The better you understand the tools you use, the easier it becomes to work towards something you're happy with. I've been busting my hump to learn everything I can in the 3D realm and having good tools to work with in a must. I use for all my 3D work and its functionality makes things relatively efficient. Eventually I hope to start jumping into the casting piece with both feet as well.

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:00 am

Finished the rough pose for a Sgt. Any thoughts on the pose?

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:37 am

I came up with another sgt. pose...much more dynamic. I'm not sure how easy it would be to cast this. The chainsword is for more for reference...does anyone think I could get away with using something so blatant?

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:26 am

I like the Sergeant pose - nice and dynamic. You may need to break it up into two pieces for casting, although it depends on how you do the coat.

I wouldn't take the risk with the chainsword. Give him some kind of fancy looking normal sword and let the end user swap it out ;)
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling