[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - CBT Scale Regult
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

CBT Scale Regult

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

CBT Scale Regult

Postby paulson games » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:46 am

I'd commissioned a Battletech scale Zentraedi Regult, it's just about completed and thought I'd share some of the pics.

It's about 55mm tall as I'm aimig to set the height in proportion to the Macross/Robotech unseens which are about 45mm. The Zentraedi mecha are a good dealer taller but since most of that is leg height it'd look about right for a 70 ton mech.

(it will also have a set of optional missile launchers that go on top)

To save on sculpt time I only had him do one leg, jump jet and set of lasers, each side is identical so I'll just make extras of the parts when I go to cast these in resin.

I'm really happy with how this project is coming along. :)

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: CBT Scale Regult

Postby Vaaish » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:38 am

looks pretty cool so far. Isn't this guy pretty close to the one you just started painting not long ago?
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:45 am

Same design, however the scale is much differant. The N-Scale stuff (like the one I'm painting) is about 80-90mm tall and use a two inch base size, this version is only 50mm tall and fits on a one inch base size like battletech minis do.

N-Scale Left, CBT scale right
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:58 am

The problem with WIP shots of scratchbuilts/sculpts like that is the mix of horrendous colours make it really difficult to properly appreciate the model. Seems pretty nicely detailed so I look forward to seeing it in the resin! ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Seb » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 am

Gorgeously done. I'd best get those sample ideas to you ASAP :D

Would love to see this guy do a ahh..y'know.. the spooky alien crab like guys.. the ahh (snaps fingers).. urhmm. G'dammit..Invid! ...yes, now they would be cool models :)

- Seb
Seb

Postby paulson games » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Oh yes, I plan on getting invid and the Mospeda generation veritechs done. It'll be a bit as the major limit is funds. I'd love to set something up on kickstarter as I know there's a lot of fans out there that'd kill to see them made, but as it's content that there's no offical rights to they won't accept it.

The original Macross has always been on the top of my fav list but the mospeda arc is defiantely right up there as well and I plan on doing stuff for it. Sadly the southern cross arc completely sucks IMO, I like the bioroid suit designs but that arc of the series was total garbage and had terrible mech designs.

The Alpha fighters from Mospeda are pretty small, around 30% smaller than the old macross veritechs. (macross veritechs are 12.7m tall and alphas are 8.75m) The invid are pretty tiny they seem big because for most of the series they are fighting the cyclones but the cyclones are basically just human sized power armor and not mechs. So they'd make for some fairly small models in battletech scale. Invid are between 8-20 feet tall depending on which version it is

Could always go with artistic fiat and ignore the actual scale and make them the same size as battletech minis (or 28mm scaled minis) so that way you can see the details and it'd be pleasing on the modelling aspect even if it's not technically correct.

Edit:
I dug these out the first is the original Macross mechs, the Zentraedi figure is not really accurate as they suffer greatly from floating scale in the series. At this scale they'd be correct per their mecha, however they are routinely as large as the veritechs when shown fighting them in hand to hand, additionally all of the doors and innerworkings on the SDF-1 are sized for veritechs and they mention that they were uncharged from the original crashed vessel which was sized for Zentraedi. There's also the timeless episode where Max dresses his veritech up in a Zentraedi uniform to hide while trapped onboard an enemiy ship, clearly not possible if they are several meters dissimular in height.

Size chart for the 3rd arc Mospeda or Invid Invasion

Photoshopped vcombination of the two, based on eyeballing the human figures to the same size. Also corrected the Zentraedi scale to how it's more commonly seen in teh series.

So nerdy fandom facts asside if I were to approach doing minis for the later gen mecha, should I do it all in the same scale or go with a floating non-fixed scale and have everything roughly the same size? Or possibly do the macross stuff in CBT scale and go entirely seperate to 28mm for the later gen stuff that way I could make use out of the cyclone power armor troops? (aka the transforming bikes) The invid would be about 50-60mm if I go that route.
paulson games

Postby paulson games » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 am

After a retarded amount of molding and casting I finally have a complete model. This bugger is 20 pieces! Measures between 60-75mm depending one what the weapons are.

I have some changes to make to it still as a couple OCD points are nawing at me, the upright missle launchers need to be lowered sligtly and I'll probably be widdening the head/body as it's a bit narrow. From an angle it looks perfect but head on it looks a bit squeezed. The pods are quite bulbous and rounded where the model has a slightly ovalshape. I can't knock the sculpting in the slightest as it's definately top notch.

Once I get done with the final mods I'll be remolding everything yet again, the legs will be cast as solid pieces but the foot pads are still going to need to be seperate so I'm looking at 16-18 pieces for the final models. I'm also going to need to convert a torso that has rear pair of lasers in place of the missiles.

Light Missile Pod

Heavy Missile Pod

Soldier (no missiles)
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:20 am

Wow that has cast up beautifully! Your sculptor does a fantastic, clean job!

I know that it's just copying the original designs, but the heavy missiles look a bit lame to me :P
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:43 am

After a fair amount of fiddly work I have the soldier version done, so that completes the set of variants. The base of the left laser needs a bit of filing so it's the same size and it's finished.

I need to knock together some molds of the modified parts and then I can cast up a full squad of ten.

I'm hoping to get some paint on these over the weekend to see how they look in color.

paulson games

Return to Modelling