[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - CNC routing 3D models
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

CNC routing 3D models

Discussion of digital modelling techniques: 3D modelling and 3D printing.

Moderator: Wardens

CNC routing 3D models

Postby mangozac » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Hey guys,

So last week I had by CNC router cut out some simple parts for Seb that I had modelled in 3D (in Rhino). The results turned out so well that I was thinking how else I could apply it! I was running a 1mm diameter cutter for Seb's parts but I'm now looking at 0.5 and 0.3mm cutters which would be able to do some pretty fine parts.

The problem with going to such tiny cutters is that machining times go through the roof, so the smaller the part the better! The big advantage though is unlike 3D printing it should give an almost flawless finish (or at least a non-porous part which is easier to clean up).

One such part I was thinking of was a 28mm figure. Although I had a dismal failure trying to sculpt a 28mm figure from scratch as a pilot for my Centurion model and have now got a friend with better sculpting skills doing it for me, I realised that perhaps machining up the base naked figure from a 3D model and then physically sculpting clothes over the top could work well.

So do any of you guys have a female 3D model in a neutral pose that would be suitable for this experiment? Obviously it would need proportions more suitable for miniatures rather than an ultra-realistic form (if I'm going to be really picky I love the proportions of the ). 3DM, STL or STP format would be preferred, as once I import into Rhino I would have to split the figure down the middle so that I can machine it as two halves.

Thanks guys!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: CNC routing 3D models

Postby Fleafa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:15 am

You're welcome to either of these:

I can adjust proportions if you sketch over my images.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:18 am

Wow thanks Ben. That first one would be perfect! Are the clothes/accessories separate pieces? Are they your own designs? I'll send you an email ;)
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 am

Both my own, neither finished!
Clothes are separate, but the tights are part of the first one's legs :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:09 am

Very cool! You've certainly got the 3D modelling and anatomy skills!
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:25 am

:| Thank you!
My anatomy is getting better but still has a long way to go.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Digi-lab