[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Forgeworld Storm Eagle
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Forgeworld Storm Eagle

Found an interesting kit in resin or plastic? Want to review a kit you've just bought? Share it with us here!

Moderator: Wardens

Forgeworld Storm Eagle

Postby blind pig » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:55 am

blind pig
Junkie

Re: Forgeworld Storm Eagle

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:40 am

It's not that it's bad, but more so that it just doesn't look very good. Maybe it's the way it's painted but it looks a bit old school to me (in a bad way). Actually I don't believe it fits the established marine aesthetic too well - it's as if they've just mashed a bunch of plastic marine kits together in a bad way - you sure this isn't an April fools thing?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Link no longer works :(

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Last edited by paulson games on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulson games

Postby Xeones » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:17 am

Well, its an improvement for sure. They've managed to address a number of proportional problems with the original kit. Incorporating the beveled side pieces works really nicely and bulking out the rear areas lends much-needed balance. I still don't like the weapon system above the assault ramp nor do I like the old-style lascannons. I'm undecided about the giant Typhoon-style launchers on the back, they seem a little over-bearing and tacked-on. Also, (at least from this angle) the black holes right in from of the missile launchers look strange.

Still, I like it --and it makes me smile that even Forgeworld finds the need to "fix" the Stormraven. :P
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:35 am

I feel like there is a disturbing trend at the moment of giving models toy-like proportions. This looks like a GI JOE toy from the 90's, which is fine for a GI JOE toy, but just doesn't cut it for a real model IMO. The Chaos Decimator is a bit the same. The new [url=
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/02/ ... ssals.html]Warmachine Colossals[/url] have awful proportions. And don't even get me started on the latest Dust vehicles - the helicopters look like a 5 year old's Tomy toy.

Of course this could be an April fools thing....
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:49 am

Its not aprils fools..... sadly zac, lol

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Arkangel » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:52 am

Well I was lucky enough to get one of the first 20 at the Open Day on Sunday :mrgreen: In fact I bagged two, one for me and one for my mate Iain. Taking your girlfriend to an event has it's bonuses when models are limited in number per person :lol: Plus as I was helping her move from one side of the country to the other for a short term placement with work it was a win, win situation.

The intial release mini's seem to be of a pretty good quality, the parts are well cast with very little mould slip and shrinkage, or warping. I'll take a few pics of the kit laid out and post them up.

You get most if not all of the Storm Raven kit so you have the upper turret left over and loads of extras.

IMHO the reason this kit was released was an excuse to elongate the Storm Raven and counter the CH kit. Or is that just me being cynical? :o
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Return to Kit Finds & Reviews