[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - BFG ordnance dimensions?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

BFG ordnance dimensions?

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

BFG ordnance dimensions?

Postby Malika » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14 pm

So I've been working on designing my own ships (see ) as potential alternatives for BFG. But I'd need ordnance as well. I'm planning on making some boarding pods (kinda akin to the Chaos Dreadclaw in scale), torpedos, fighters and bombers. However, I have no clue how big they should be. Does anybody have the dimensions for these models?

Thank you!
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Re: BFG ordnance dimensions?

Postby mangozac » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:39 am

They're just representative so they can be as big as you like. Between 10-15mm in length would be optimal.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:17 am

Basically you just need the bases the right size and you can do whatever you want then. If you didn't mind the overhead, you could use real torpedoes*.

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby lastspartacus » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:22 am

Any progress on this? Big BFG fan.

I wonder what the legality of straight up cloning their work is, now that they don't sell product anymore.
lastspartacus
User

Postby Malika » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:37 am

Personally I'm not really planning on cloning their stuff. However, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be compatible. Check to see what I'm working on.

I've been thinking about making the ordnance bases shaped like a profile/section of the ship's components from which the originate. So the torpedo base would be shaped like a profile/section of the prow, whilst the fighters base would be a profile/section of the hanger.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:38 am

Are your ship sections that recognisable?
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Not 100% sure yet, I liked the idea. I'll try it out in the coming days. :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:43 am

I'm not real keen on that idea - as Islacrusez suggests, I don't think your ship sections are that different that they would be easily recognisable in silhouette form. Just make torpedo/attack craft bases a cool shape like maybe triangular ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:02 am

I'd keep them square to maintain compatibility with BFG, where it is used for collisions. You could put a relief on the top of the base, but with actual ordnance models above them it's a little unnecessary. The one thing I can think of is to put little target blips at the base of the stems of individual ordnance, if you're mounting them that way.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:07 am

What are the dimensions for these bases? Do they all use the same size? As in, is the base for torpedos the same as for fighter craft, etc? I've seen torpedos being mounted on tiny bases (individual torpedos) but also in larger bases (5 in a row or something).
Malika
Junkie

Postby DiesIrae » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:42 am

BFG and other games rely on a weird wobbly representative scale, so "How big should I make my ordinance?" is really a question of convenience.

Have you seen the torpedo/fighters/boarding pod designs of GrimDarkBits on Shapeways?
https://www.shapeways.com/model/293943/ ... lId=293943
https://www.shapeways.com/model/680962/ ... lId=680962

Is this the sort of thing you're looking to design? GDBits' torpedoes are around 1.5cm by 0.25cm.
DiesIrae
Casual

Postby Vaaish » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:07 pm

By the FAQ 2010 update, base sizes are 20x20mm, same as the old square epic bases. You are also supposed to mark the size of the wave using dice. Anything smaller than a 10mm d6 is a paint to work with so practically speaking that means the minimum size you can make a base and still be able to easily manipulate 2 dice (waves over 12 are rare for anything other than torpedoes) is 25x25mm.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Return to Modelling