[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - SSB's General Log
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

SSB's General Log

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Re: SSB's General Log

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun May 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Anvils Hammer » Mon May 21, 2012 8:35 am

No worries!!

I learned most of this the hard way and If id not found this forum i would still be learning a lot of stuff the hard way, so glad to be of assistance!

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby SSB » Tue May 22, 2012 7:05 am

Hello again ! Thanks (by the thousand !)

Here is the mould I project !
After thouroughtly reading you multiple advices ! :)

ImageImageImage

What do you think ? ! :)
Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse !
SSB
User

Postby mangozac » Tue May 22, 2012 7:22 am

Good, but the mould box is WAY bigger than it needs to be! I would make the short sides half as wide.

You will probably get a bit of bubbling at the flat bottom of the "earth" around the ball on the left. It's on the bottom so isn't a big deal, but you might need to widen the sprue channel to it. That can simply be cut into the mould with a knife later if need be.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby SSB » Tue May 22, 2012 8:32 am

I have reduced the size of the box.

I will cut into the silicone later on to widen the sprue channel !

Tomorrow I'll do the Silicone mold (too late for my neighbours to endure my Air Compressor !) :)

Any last advice ?
Last edited by SSB on Tue May 22, 2012 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
SSB
User

Postby mangozac » Tue May 22, 2012 9:23 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Wed May 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Give the parts and the inside of the box a good spray of mold release, it will definately help when it comes to demolding the original parts and removing the mold from the box.

When you go to cast the stuff make sure you dust it with talc or baby powder and give it plenty of squeezing so that the air can escape, as Zac suggested you might want to make a slightly larger channel for the flat bottomed ball. The other thing you can do is move the channel closer to one end and tilt the part slightly so that the air all goes to the high point where the sprue is attached.

Maybe something like this

paulson games

Postby Anvils Hammer » Thu May 24, 2012 12:52 am

if its not to late, position the ball exactly like Paulson showed!!

Also as others have said, the box is way to big.. I generally leave about five or ten millimeters of silicone between the part and the mold wall.

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby SSB » Fri May 25, 2012 8:00 am

Modification done !
Thanks a lot !

I haven't had time to cast these days.
Tomorrow I hope ! :)
SSB
User

Postby SSB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 am

- FLASH QUESTION -

I have received Shapeway 3D models made of super fine frosted detail material.
There is a lot of residue in the small details.

What is it made of ? (greasy material it seems)
How do you clean it of ?
Brush + white spirit ? (acetone ? Alcool ?)

I'll post photos in the near future !
SSB
User

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:34 am

NOT ACETONE!
I would steer away from MOST solvents. Maybe alcohol or water. I've used soapy water and a toothbrush to good effect. Also, toothpicks or a similar metal tool.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby SSB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:41 am

Ok !
No solvents... :)

The website says Frosted Ultra Detail resists up to 80°C Has it been verified by one of you ?

I have to mold these models with a high T° Silicone for rotary casting at a foundry.
When he creates the molds, he told me the T° can rise up to 130°C.
Will the frosted ultra detail material resist this heat ?
SSB
User

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 am

I highly doubt it. Consider wax printing for lost-wax cast masters if you need to resist that sort of temperature. Zack at Protowax is a very nice guy. Just got some prints from him which I will share soon.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby SSB » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:23 am

SSB
User

Postby SSB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:57 am

I re-post this in my log.
Lasts months have been subject to creation with a 3D artist.
We created trophies for my blood bowl league.

Next task will be to mold them and create heat resistant copies (Smooth on task 8 resin, <130°C) that will go to a foundry, where the founder will mold them in heated (130°C) silicon to create centrifugated pewter copies !

I have also bought a new system. The one I did conceive earlier was not satisfying my needs. I'll show photos in the future.

Base 1 and chocolate top (assembled approx 28mm high)

Base 2 and shield 1 (assembled approx 28mm high)

Base 2 and shield 2 (assembled approx 28mm high)

Base 2 and shield 3 (assembled approx 28mm high)

Lutèce trophy (approx 28mm high)
SSB
User

PreviousNext

Return to The Waiting Room