[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Crystel's Chimeras
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Crystel's Chimeras

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Crystel's Chimeras

Postby organizedchaos » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:27 am

Hey everyone! I'm just starting to get into the model kit territories myself and decided I would focus on my own lineup of mythological/legendary creatures. I've been fascinated by them for as long as I can remember and figured, "why not start there?" Call it "Crystel's Chimeras" :)

Of course my first figure in the lineup has to be a chimera! I started doing a couple sketches in zbrush/painting over them in photoshop to get an idea of where I wanted to go with it. A friend of mine pushed me to go for a more dynamic pose and I ended up settling on one where he was chasing his tail.

I took that idea and polished it up in zbrush

And then had it 3d printed through Ownage at 4 inches with a limited run of 40 figures :)

It's been about four months since I sent the file off and I'm excited to say the order is being shipped now. I cannot wait!! I hope everyone likes it and I'm able to do a lot more of these kinds of things!
organizedchaos
Casual

Re: Crystel's Chimeras

Postby Fleafa » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:26 pm

Very cool!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:04 am

Awesome 3D modelling work! Great to see the model turned into a print also ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby organizedchaos » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:56 am

Thanks guys! I got my first part of the order the other day and grabbed some shots of the final cast! They definitely cleaned up the seams well, and it's all one piece... pretty beefy too! It's about half a pound.

organizedchaos
Casual

Postby horizon » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:15 am

Nice! It looks really great. Well done.
horizon
User

Postby organizedchaos » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm the worst at keeping up to date with this!

I wanted to share the second "chimera" in my lineup! The gargoyle. I approached this one differently, working with level 52 studios instead of ownage on it. They did a pretty decent job, but I was only able to sell 9 copies before they started having issues with the mold and decided to discontinue making it. There wasn't a lot of interest in it altogether, so I'm not too concerned. Taking it as part of the learning process :)

Here are some dynamesh sketches I painted over for the concept

The final model

And the final cast
organizedchaos
Casual

Postby organizedchaos » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:13 pm

Also! decided a while back that I would make "mini" versions of my designs to offer for less and to practice molding/casting off of.

Here's the sculpt

The 3d print, which was done by owlbox3d

And here's my molds :D

And the first couple casts

I've been playing around quite a bit since then with different dyes and such. I never expected molding/casting to be so much fun! :D I'm also slowly working on my next sculpt and hope to handle the molds/casts myself
organizedchaos
Casual

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:08 pm

That is adorable. I would definitely call him fluffy.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Really cool stuff! It all looks great and the casting quality is fantastic!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:09 am

These are brilliant!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby organizedchaos » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:18 am

Hey guys, thanks so much! :D My next figure is based on the bakunawa, from Philippine mythology, a sea serpent believed to be the cause of eclipses. I followed the description giving him a large mouth, whiskers, two sets of wings (you can see the smaller set tucked away) and decided to go with external gills (like seen with axoltols)

Here's an image of the sculpt, rendered with the zbrush integration of Keyshot

And the 3d print, done through ownage

I'll be molding/casting this myself and plan on making the moon piece glow in the dark! :D
organizedchaos
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:52 pm

More awesome work!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:56 am

Lovely work. What do you do with your casts just sell them individually? I may be interested in some.

Thanks,
Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Return to Digital Modelling