[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Fleafa sculpts a monster
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Fleafa sculpts a monster

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Fleafa sculpts a monster

Postby Fleafa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:00 am

Been working on this guy for a couple of hours, thought I'd share the progress. The pose is intended to look like it is pulling the ground apart with telkinetic powers. The ground will be broken in to chunks and cunningly arranged to look like they are floating upwards. These will also serve as his mount.

Pose:

Head detailing:

Muscle blocking-in:

Fleafa
Junkie

Re: Fleafa sculpts a monster

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Wow, you've got some pretty flash 3D modelling skills! The proportions look spot on and the pose conveys exactly what you're describing. Will it be for 28mm or bigger?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:35 am

Cheers Zac!
It will be my C'tan for my Necron army, so probably around 50mm, not including scenic base.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby virusoverload » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:46 am

Looks good certainly buy one. Just one question out of curiosity how will you be making this into a physical object? 3d printing or sculpting?
virusoverload
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:32 pm

I imagine he'll be 3D printing. Perhaps even try out the wax printing processes?
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:36 am

I'll be 3D printing it. At the moment, wax is far too pricey. I would love wax though.

I've made a little progress today with armour and musculature. What do people think?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 am

My anatomy knowledge isn't extensive enough to comment on the musculature, but it looks ok to me. Good start on the armour. I was going to comment that overall it's a little skinny looking for something that's supposed to be very powerful, but then I remembered that the existing C-Tan models are too so it's fine. In fact I think you could probably elongate things even a little more...
mangozac

Postby geomod » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:43 am

Fleafa hit it out of the park again. :o

The sculpt puts me in mind of some fluff from Dark Heresy about (if I remember correctly) Halo artefacts.

These are usually small items sold on the black market as xenos technology and are sourced from somewhere in the Halo Stars. When activated, the object merges with the victims biology and grants the user massive power. Initially as energy and biological regeneration, this deveolves as the artefact takes over. Sounds a lot like a C'Tan shard to me.

Cheers,

geomod
geomod
User

Postby Anvils Hammer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Loving it! the musculature is awesome, The back needs work to separate out the shoulder muscles and add in the lats, but i suspect you know this and have an anatomy text book open in front of you!

Will you be casting and selling the completed model?

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:29 pm

mangozac: Yeah, I wanted skinny but lots of striated musculature. His power is not in his muscles (which aren't really muscles as he's made of living metal), but in his powers.

geomod: Thanks dude! He's gone a little differently to how I had imagined, but I'm happy so far :)

Anvils Hammer: Cheers! The anatomy is fairly accurate so far with some mistakes (eg. the division between deltoid & trapezius) that I don't feel I need to correct. I didn't intend to go too mad with accuracy, as he's not even flesh & blood, let alone human! Still, for sculpts like this to look good, one must always bear real musculature in mind. I did take this snapshot before I had finished the current pass. See the back, forearms and lower legs for evidence of this! I have an anatomy poster right next to my desk :) A couple of books on the shelves.

Definitely casting & selling.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:30 am

I've decided I don't like the leg and arm armour bits, so I'm dropping them.
Done very little work on the muscles but a bunch on the base. A tad scared of the casting of it though!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby geomod » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:09 am

geomod
User

Postby paulson games » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:13 am

That is looking really good, I really like the base effect as well.

I'm assuming you're doing it in Z brush?
paulson games

Postby Fleafa » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:58 am

Sorry I totally missed these replies! Sculpting is done in Zbrush, yup :)

Final version:

Figure split for printing & moulding:
Last edited by Fleafa on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Deadmeat30 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 am

Thats looking really nice ben, cant wait to see the print and cast!

Deadmeat30
Habit

Next

Return to Digital Modelling