[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Modelling in a galaxy far far away...
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Modelling in a galaxy far far away...

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Modelling in a galaxy far far away...

Postby paulson games » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm working on some terrain tiles in 3d that I plan on having printed. I'm running into a few scaling issues and thought I'd see if you guys have any thoughts.

Basic idea was to do each part as a 3 inch x3 inch tile so when arranged in a 4 x4 configuration it'd make a 1 ft square tile. By doing each tile seperate it'd allow me to add variety to the table.

One of the main cocnerns is that the various buildings would anywhere from 1-2 inches and laser towers would be about 4 inches tall. I'm thinking this could lead to some difficulty using it as a gaming surface. The raised details and buildings could make placing the ships difficult.

Would it be preferable to flatten things so the surface is flat or go with the full height buildings?

Here's a render of a more flattened out version which wouldn't be more than 1/4 inch in height

vs original model at same angle

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Modelling in a galaxy far far away...

Postby SSB » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Cool idea !

I have a friend who is going to introduce me to "X-Wing" Maybe such designs could be aiming to fit this game system ? (I don't know the scale though)

About the laser towers. Maybe you could do a "plug in" one ? Then you could disseminate in the designs a shape that you could plug a laser tower on. That would permit to rotate the laser tower around it and to permit to modulate the quantity of the laser towers... :)
Then the laser tower would be a separate object. (maybe several designs...)
Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse !
SSB
User

Postby TomG » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:51 am

Yeah it reminds me, my 3D SW past. :D
Only the Best Can Survive.
TomG
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:34 pm

No genuine Sci Fi fan can deny the coolness of this endeavour! And I'm pretty sure there isn't a sci-fi modeller alive who wouldn't love a Death Star diorama!

Stick with the original height - the flattened version doesn't look anywhere near as cool ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby SSB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Look what I found searching the internet... :)
X-Wing tabletop game scenic !

Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse !
SSB
User

Postby Malika » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:23 pm

I still like yours better, it looks like it has the potential that it can be used in a game of X-wing, but also for a game of 40k!

Are you ever gonna print these parts?

(sorry for the threadomancy, I'm just too curious)
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby FearGFX » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:55 am

oh wow this is worth the thread necro i think...
I like the 1/4 inch version because that will a) save material and b) be an easier surface for the models to stand on...

did it ever go into production?
FearGFX
Casual

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:43 am

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:44 am

That table is really awesome. I had something similar in mind for my space ships. The original premise of my idea was that they were airships, destroying an enemy city (the terrain on the table).

but yeah, I echo Fear's question: did this ever go into production? Would be quite the seller I think! Or would it cause problems with Lucasarts/Disney?
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:55 am

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:58 am

They got more money then games workshop does to try and bankrupt an opponent though.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Malika » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:02 am

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:18 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Malika » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:16 am

By the way, did you guys see ?
Malika
Junkie

Postby michaelludvig » Sat May 09, 2015 7:12 am

That one is great as we may be able to learn more concerning modelling.

Return to Digital Modelling