[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Xeones' 3D Battlsuit Project Log
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Xeones' 3D Battlsuit Project Log

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Xeones' 3D Battlsuit Project Log

Postby Xeones » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:17 am

Warning: note this thread is quite old. It's just been locked away in a private section of the site, however Xeones has asked me to move it into the new 3D modelling subforum
- Mangozac

The Beginning:
Gentlemen, this marks the unveiling of something BIG. . .

. . . Ah, who am I kidding? It's actually kind of small (being a miniature and all), but I'm hoping to make some waves anyway. For a while now, I've been toying with the idea of using rapid prototyping to create miniatures. Rapid prototyping itself is fairly expensive, so at this point, I'm planning on just using the printed versions as the basis to create some masters and then cast the final models in resin.

The subject for this project started back about 18 months ago when Zac, Mark, and I (and a few other intrepid modelers) were working together on our own version of a battlesuit. Even though nothing ever really came of our efforts, one of the concepts that I submitted just kept begging me for attention, so eventually I gave in and started to work on making it into a real model.

As you can see in the images at the bottom of this post, a lot has changed in the design from that initial sketch, but I feel that, at least in essence, the design retains it's heritage. Many of the changes were made either to aid casting or to better articulate the model for posing by the modeler, but a few of the changes were made "just because".

The next image is an exploded view that shows the different pieces which comprise the model. Currently, there are 30 pieces to the model, but some of those pieces will be fused together before casting the final model. These extra divisions were created because I had to reduce the volume of actual printed material that will go into the torso so that it doesn't cost as much to print (as most companies charge by the cubic cm) so it was to my advantage to make a few pieces hollow.

The final image in the series shows some of my recent (and still very much WIP) efforts to create some accessories to the original model in order to make it into a beefier design --the XV88 to the normal XV8 chassis in Tau terms-- The additions include added shoulder pods that will house additional systems, and an armored breast plate and codpiece that slide over the existing torso. This design will also probably receive an alternate head or two as well as a lot of big, shiny new weapons that will mount onto the arms and shoulders.

Project Status and Projected Goals
At this point, I think that the basic battlesuit model is almost ready to print. My next step, after a few last-minute adjustments, is to print off a few select pieces in order to test their fit and see how well they clean up. I expect them to need some puttying, sanding, and panel lining --if not some more in-depth scratch-building-- to get them to a level where they are ready for casting. Once all the pieces have been prepared, I'll see about either trying to cast them myself, or perhaps getting someone else to help me cast them. We'll see how it goes. Here's what I'm thinking for the kit releases:

Phase One
• Get the existing battlesuit ready for a limited print run of perhaps 25 kits (maybe even smaller depending on interest).
-The model will come with one or two weapons options and little else.

Phase Two
• Release an accessories kit that will contain all of the parts for the heavy version of the suit as well as additional bits.
-This version will likely include: alternate head(s), armor plates, and a full spread of weapons and support systems for both the light and heavy versions of the 'suit.

So that's the plan. We'll see how well it turns out. Since nothing has really been printed out but a few test bits, this project could come crashing down in short order. But for now, I remain optimistic and hopeful. What are your thoughts on the design and my plans in general? I admit that because of the amount of work I've put into the model so far, I'm not likely to change things too radically, but I'd still appreciate feedback --both positive and negative.

-Nate

Oh yeah, dimensions: Right now I think I'm shooting for a height a centimeter or two taller than an XV8.

Last edited by Xeones on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeones
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Xeones' 3D Battlsuit Project Log

Postby Warhound » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:54 am

Hey dude!

Glad that you have come to the darkside at last!;-) Great to see this work again in all its glory- god how long since the first piccy?! it must be 18 months now! Anyway- as you will have guessed- there is a lot more likely hood of us getting stuff finished in this arena;-)

I am very curious to see how this will progress into 3d- especially with some of the more complicated areas- even though you have exploded the piccy, getting all those pieces 'cut/lasered' (I really have no idea about this process) seems tricky?

In terms of design though, I think as mentioned before that the front areas (belly) need to be broken up somewhat with panel lines or somthing- it just doesnt sit as comfortably as the other areas are very detailed;-) The rear hatch and jets are inspired!

cheers
Mark
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Xeones » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:00 am

Xeones

Postby Xeones » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:54 am

Double Post: I'm thinking about adding in the following systems and weapons at the moment so if anyone has any ideas for how these should look, or any additional things you think would be cool to add, I'll take any advice you'll give.

WEAPONS
All weapons need to ambidextrous and will be mounted either under the arms as shown in the images above, or will be mounted on the shoulders "XV88 style"

• Hurricane Pods (Flack Pack): This is the weapon you can see on the arms of the battlesuit. My idea is basically a short-ranged quad-shotgun weapon. I'm pretty happy with the basic look of this, so I'll probably just add more detail to this one.
• Chain Gun or Gatling cannon: You know the type. I'm looking for a design that's original, but is still gritty and functional looking.
• Grenade Launcher/Mortar: Probably little more than a tube with an ammo supply, but I'd like to try to come up with something a little cooler than just a tube.
• Shock Lance: A more exotic-looking energy weapon perhaps a little like the one modeled by the battesuit with the shield above.
• Missiles: I'd like to do two different types. Think: Tau Missile Pods and Seekers for the difference in scale.
• Autocannon: Something bulky and no-nonsense. It would probably need to be a bit bulkier and stubbier that the 40K style ones in order to work with the design. Maybe it should look more like illustrations of battletech ACs.
• Gravity Cannon: The Big One. :twisted: works by manipulating gravity fields to propel projectiles at high speeds. Yeah it's basically a rail gun. I admit it. :roll:
Riot Shield: Not really a weapon, but it would take up an arm hardpoint to use.

SYSTEMS
The systems will be plug-in bits that will fit into the front of the battsuits shoulder pods. The light battlsuit version will have two slots and the heavy version will have four.

Blank: This bit will just be a plain armored plate to cover the pod socket. In case the modeler wants a cleaner look.
Sensor1: Probably will have lots of lenses and things on it
Sensor2: Something else "senor-y" :?
Improved Reactors: Something to make the engine bits look a little more souped up. Probably will come in the form of intakes and baffling.
Light Machine Gun Yet another way to fit in more weapons!

That's the list at the moment. I'm not necessarily going to make all of these so some of them might not make the final cut for Phase Two. Anyone who has any ideas regarding other ideas to include in here is welcome to contribute.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Not a lot more to add here. As you know I'm not a big fan of the crotch design, however it will definitely be better with some panel lining and detailing added.

The weapons and systems all sound pretty fun. A new gattling design is tricky to come up with - I'm thinking of something with so many barrels that there isn't actually gaps between them (certainly makes casting easier!).

Any chance of a "flight pose" shot?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:12 am

Sure. Let me upload a couple of images to give you an idea of what things look like that way. Give me an hour or two and I'll show you. . .
Xeones

Postby Warhound » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:22 am

Loving the 'test weapons' descriptions! Really good ideas that as you allude to are NOT GW ;)

These might help for some design keys?

I dug them out recently and will certainly be swayed by some of these styles:-)

cheers
Mark
Warhound

Postby Xeones » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:56 am

Right! Here we are: A couple of posed shots with the 'jets extended.

Warhound: Thanks for the assistance. Funny enough, I've got those same nerf concepts in one of my own inspiration folders. ;) I think you are definitely on the right track as far as style with those. Not sure about the weapons in your last pic, but I'll keep them in mind too.
Xeones

Postby paulson games » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:55 am

I like the work you've done it's serious quaity work. Astectically I'm not a huge fan of the stomach and groin looking like a huge gut. The profile makes it look like an armored up ogre, great for a bulky look but not something I'd associate with Tau especially when the other equipment and weapons on the suit looks pretty streamlined.

Reminds me of something you might see in the AT-43 line, or a powerful worker suit, it's a bit bulky like an industial forerunner of an appleseed suit. Looks powerful but not all that mobile.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:53 am

Wow this is great. The suit looks like it can strike some really nice dynamic poses!

One thing that I do have to point out is that I feel the jetpacks are much too small for such a large, bulky suit. The leg and foot design is fantastic though!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Xeones

Postby paulson games » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:14 pm

Don't get me wrong I think the overall look of the suit is great and you've done a killer job on the rendering. As a straight up Tau suit it clashes a bit due to the belly bulk, but as a human based suit it's great. Reminds me of some off beat Russian tech slow moving but with massive armor.

Looks like it'd fit in very wellwith the red blok stuff from AT-43, or along side pig iron's Kolony militia.

People can defiantely use it for auxillary troop mecha, and with a change to the head it's definately far enough away from GW IP that you could sell it for your own line.

Here's a link you might enjoy as it has some pretty great fan based 3-d gundam models

http://anaheimmachines.blogspot.com/200 ... chive.html

This guy has some pretty beastly and unique looking mecha

http://www.kallamity.com/products/type/0

A lot of his mecha have the forward slung torsos and hips simular to your design, it's not out of place as a lot of newer mecha designs are breaking out of traditional styles, but I'm an old school styled mecha fan as I watched the original macross as a kid when it first released. I like sleek minimalized mecha and at times even gundams look overdone to me.

If you're going to produce these go with your gut as it's the only way you'll be happy, you can always tweak it to suit the audience demand later, and sometimes if you're on the cutting edge it'll grow on the audience.
paulson games

Postby Warhound » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:35 am

Not much to add here tbh guys:-)

The torso is cool- just streamline the belly off (will also help with less volume)
Enlarge the thrusters- they are a cool design but could not take a 3 tonne mecha

Otherwise I love it- the more angles etc that I see, the more see the potentials!

Great link there Jon- there are some cool weapon designs in there too!

cheers
MARK
Warhound

Postby Xeones » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:49 pm

I changed and enlarged the jets. This is the result:

Better?
Xeones

Postby Warhound » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:01 am

Hey Nate!

Much better! I like the bevelled edges of the new covers too! I am still a little concerned about the size of the 'main nozzles' on the end of the thruster units- to provide the main propulsion- unless my interpretation is wrong? The extra surface area though when they are lifted underneath, is fantastic.

I would just makes the ends of the units deeper (more square)?

cheers

Mark
Warhound

Next

Return to Digital Modelling