[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Designing ships [possible BFG scale]
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Postby Fleafa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:15 am

- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 am

SkechUp isn't really ideal for complex curves; it just isn't designed for it. You might be able to construct a nice hemisphere by drawing a circle on a plane, adding a guide point above the centre, and then drawing curve lines across the circle, between each of its corners, and raising the curve to the guide point.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:06 am

But I have seen people pulling off some complex stuff using Sketchup, as you can see . Luckily the sphere shaped turret doesn't have to be that complex, especially considering the scale it will be printed/CNCed/scratchbuilt in.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:24 am

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:04 am

I suspect the benefit of experience, and quite likely cut-through drawings, are on their side.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:54 am

Working on a scratch build based of this design, i have the frame just about done for the front half of the model. The rear from the hyper drive and engine still needs to be worked on.

Just needs detail added to the sections, i forsee the detail not being to difficult just measuring the same kind of parts multiple times and sanding to make sure everything comes together in layers.

More to come.
Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Malika » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 am

Woza, this is gonna be cool! Could you also post it in , I think Philip will get really excited! :D
Malika
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:26 am

Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Malika » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:52 am

Started working on a prow...

Note that it's still very WIP, needs a lot of work to make it fit with the rest of the ship. :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 am

Tweaked it slightly. In the meanwhile I found out that the head was a tiny bit too big to fit correctly to the rest of the ship (connection of the ship was 1.5 meters whilst the head was 1.5000004723 meters) Fixed it, and made it a bit longer:

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:12 am

I've got to say Malika, I'm really not a fan of the giant eagle head. I feel that it looks quite silly - like a parody of itself. Having a prow style like that is the complete opposite aesthetic to the rest of the ship.

Good start on the actual model though. Is that Magic Sculpt you're using?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:02 am

Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:46 am

I just realised it was you who made that, Blind (not Malika)!

Red (standard) will be fine, but Black (superfine) is supposed to be better. I've got some I haven't tried out yet. Commisar-Krad recommends the superfine over standard too. Either way both are way better than Magic Sculpt!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Blindhorizon
Habit

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling