[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 3D Rhino and STC variant download files for FREE!!!!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

3D Rhino and STC variant download files for FREE!!!!

Discussion of digital modelling techniques: 3D modelling and 3D printing.

Moderator: Wardens

3D Rhino and STC variant download files for FREE!!!!

Postby Arkangel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:48 am

Ok so roaming over at Apoc 40K i found this:

http://apocalypse40k.com/index.php?/top ... ling-this/

Which led me to this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39235

If someone in the UK has got access to a 3D printer PM me YESTERDAY!!! :mrgreen:

WOW!

There's even a cheeky Leman Russ in the background its crazy!! :mrgreen:
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Re: 3D Rhino and STC variant download files for FREE!!!!

Postby mel_danes » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Sadly as soon as GW sees this, which they will once it reaches any kind of recognition, the company will be asked to take it down. It looks like these files are free but the designs are not his own, so the IP sharks will feed.
mel_danes
Casual

Postby Arkangel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:50 pm

More than likely. Whilst I stand by any IP issues you have to admire the guy.
He's modelled the mini's himself, albeit using an existing product, on a 3D programme and come out with a vey good alternative.
Unfortunately the aesthetic isn't far enough away from the original existing product.
He has admitted he wont produce these thats why he has offered the templates for free to others.

With the on-going issue GW has with Chapter-House this is proof that people just aren't willing to pay GW prices for something they can effectively buy elsewhere, or in this case make themselves.

I've built 3 FW Malcadors from Plasticard using a paper template. These are £80 a pop.
Each one has cost me approximately £10-15 in materials.
Admittedly the time required is a little more than your average kit build, but isnt that why we're in this hobby?

Either way this guy has made something that others would want. And providing it for free instead of making money off it is what I applaud.
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:45 am

Very impressive and I agree with all of the comments raised. What I particularly liked though was the guy's attitude: these are simply experiments to see what is possible. His long term goal isn't to make rip off Rhinos but rather alternative tanks in a similar style.

The quality of the prints is surprisingly good for a filament based print process. He's only using relatively cheap printers and the striations don't seem to be as bad as I'd have expected (although they still wouldn't be acceptable for me personally).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby TomG » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:43 pm

I don´t think, that printing whole rhino will be cheaper than plastic kit. Btw, I have own 3D mesh of this vehicle, not all STC variants yet, but I´m close. :D
It was created with a bit different purpose.
Only the Best Can Survive.
TomG
User

Postby paulson games » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:05 pm

Very nicely done. Looks spot on with the physical models.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Pinselknecht » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:42 am

one of these prints would cost 100-150 euros!
It will only com out if you cast it after! Printing is to expensive!

But it is a nice pice of work!!
Pinselknecht
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:53 am

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Digi-lab