[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Wood and resin
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Wood and resin

Tutorials and resources. Beginners start in here!

Moderator: Wardens

Wood and resin

Postby ZenDog » Tue May 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi,
First time on the forum, and from the UK so my spelling may be a bit different, so apologies in advance. I have been mulling over an idea to combine wood and resin lit by LED lights. I intend to cut across the wood create a gap and pour the resin down a hole drilled through the centre.
Square cut log (oak or apple) I can create a mould using melamine board (unless any alternative suggestions) however I am struggling to think of a way to do the same with circular profile wood that I have turned on a lathe. Any ideas suggestions.? Maybe a bit different to the other casting projects I have seen here. Thanks in advance.
ZenDog
Casual

Re: Wood and resin

Postby mangozac » Thu May 19, 2016 7:47 am

I would be inclined to turn the wood down to the same inner diameter as some PVC pipe, coat the inside of the pipe with a thick coat of mould release (i.e. wax) and then cast with the wood in that. How does that sound?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby ZenDog » Fri May 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Good idea. A bit limiting in terms of diameter in that need to go with pipe size, but good start. Thanks.
ZenDog
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Tue May 24, 2016 10:48 pm

You have a lathe, so you could turn your own mould?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed May 25, 2016 7:31 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Advisory