[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - hi like most on The Waiting room Im new
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

hi like most on The Waiting room Im new

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

hi like most on The Waiting room Im new

Postby army310 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:57 am

Hi Im like new to casting and want to get a
2.5 CFM Vacuum Pump and 3-Gal Vacuum Chamber but its US $379.00
My big questions are is this too much, would this be good for very small cast and what kind of resin and silicone should I get.

and I live in Hawaii is their a place were I can pick this stuff at over here?

Thanks for all help Army310
army310
Casual

Re: hi like most on The Waiting room Im new

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:41 pm

That's a lot of money - you should be paying less than US$100 for the pressure pot. The vacuum pump can be expensive, but isn't totally necessary - you will definitely have decent results using a compressor.

I can't really help you as to what materials to get, especially from Hawaii. Do some searching around the forum to see what paulson_games uses ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:58 am

Ive used Micr-mark and Jgreer before and good results with both.

The main problems with HI is shipping. I am from AK originally and I feel your pains.

ALTHOUGH with a screen name like Army310 I might be able to work some magic. look me up on Global (Doc.Clark1@us.army.mil) or PM me here and I can get you more info on military shipping and such. No promises though.

I will look when I get home for more links and actual "helpful" info. :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby army310 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:50 pm

So that's too much. I do have a compressor for my air brush how do you make it work as a vacuum pump?
Thanks guys
army310
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:56 pm

No, you don't need a vacuum at all. It's just nice to have for different casting techniques. You do however need a compressor that has a decent sized tank, so I don't think an airbrush compressor would be suitable...
mangozac

Postby army310 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:05 pm

mine has a 3.0L tank a flow of 25L/min(I dont know what that means but ya)
Ok just saw its only 1/5hp I mite need a bigger one :shock:
Edit 2
just saw this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-HP-10-Gallon-115- ... 3982729899
is it crap?
and thanks
army310
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah 3L is far too small. The compressor you link to would do the job nicely ;)
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:10 pm

That compressor on eBay would be fine army310, as would a 3gallon (about 10L) pressure pot.

A lot of us use a converted pressure vessel made from an automotive spray paint pot.

I can pressurise the above pot to 40PSI with my twin piston airbrush compressor with a 3L tank, but it takes over a minute to do. A lot of resins will be gelling whilst the tank/pressure pot is filling, and the results will be poor. With a 2.5Hp with a 40L (10.5 gallons) tank, the above pressure pot will fill within a few seconds with a fully charged tank to about 80PSI.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby army310 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Ok thanks guys I have gotten a 3gallon pressure pot and a 2hp 10 Gallon, 115 PSI Air Compressor. Im hoping to have every thing up by Jan. 15.
army310
Casual

Postby blind pig » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:13 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:43 am

In regard to pressure pots:

You may need to switch out the pressure relief valve for a higher PSI capactity. The releif valves for the paint pot I got release at about 50PSI, I picked up some on ebay that are rated for 70PSI so I could cast stuff at 60 without them letting the air out constantly.

The pots are suggested for 40-50 PSI but they can hadle 60-70 no problem.

The pots I use are from TCP global (who also sell on ebay) It's listed as a "pressure paint pot" (2.5 gallon) You have to remove the hoses and cut off the paint feeder arm that attaches under the lid. Afte rthat they work awesome and are much cheaper than pots specifically designed for casting. (most of those start at $300+)
paulson games

Postby thedreadking » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:09 am

My Pot has a working pressure of 80psi, however the most i use is 60psi static. It says it is a 10ltr pot.

Managed to get that from Ebay for £50 all in & it had never been used before :o

Bonus really

The vasuum pump is a 3cfm pump that seem to works quite well, the compressor has a 10ltr tank attached and was a bargain at £75 brand new.

'dred'
thedreadking
Casual

Postby blind pig » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:20 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:26 am

Oh, you cannot use pressure or vacuum on a mould that was made "in the open" and not cured under pressure or vacuum. You end up with thousands of little spiky bits all over your resin model and it does kinda bugger-up your mould.

Some petrochemicals (like vasoline) aren't the best thing in the world to put under pressure, so be careful if you have greased the pressure pot with something oil based to ensure a nice seal. I use my SCUBA diving silicone sealant to grease the pressure pot seal (which isn't always necessary to do).
blind pig
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:11 am

blind pig
Junkie

Next

Return to The Waiting Room