[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Whos a good boy??
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Whos a good boy??

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Whos a good boy??

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:06 pm

I was going more for Speed, as the wing nuts seemed Slow for me...

Im thinking I might re-appropriate my impact gun for this purpose.... Power tools to the rescue!!

And good point Zac..... I really need to invest in the Vacuum.... Is this one Pig put up a good one??
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:14 pm

I wouldn't - that's a venturi pump. It needs a steady flow of high pressure air to generate the vacuum so I think you'd need a pretty decent sized compressor to operate it. Look for a refrigeration mechanic's vacuum pump .
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:34 pm

oh ok.....

at $105 I see they are literally giving them away.... :evil:

maybe next paycheck..... :oops:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby geomod » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:48 pm

An alternative, till pay day is a DIY vaccum pump.

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/vacuumpump.html

I have made one of these and it pulls up to 33cm Hg. I have yet to try it out for moulding and casting. However, for AUS $50, mostly for perspex and air fittings, I figure I can't go too wrong.

A note on these instructions, they are designed for US fridges. If using an AUS fridge compressor, remember to use the earth connection, otherwise electrocution may be in your future.

As with any of these DIY projects, follow the instructions at your own risk.
geomod
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:04 pm

kinda cool.... DEF alot cheaper. I did find some other articles too

I can just wait till payday.... as lazy has its price. Its not really the price to me, as it is me wifes rambling about spending it......I think everyone here but Pig knows what Im talking about.... :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:23 pm

I was planning to use an old fridge compressor up until the point at which I tried it out....... and discovered that it's far too slow for resin casting duties. I clamped a vacuum gauge onto the vac port of the compressor and it took several seconds to reach a full vacuum, so image how long it would take to evacuate an entire 10L chamber.

During the experiment an electrician friend of my Dad's walked past and noticed what I was doing before offering me an old proper vacuum pump he hard lying around for free :mrgreen:
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Barn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Barn
User

Postby blind pig » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Hey, when I was in a relationship, he had his money and hobbies, and I had mine. Good thing that they were similar hobbies. I didn't give a rats what he spent his money on after the bills were paid.

I was lucky enough to pick up a brand new 9cuFt/min vacuum pump for refridgeration work of evilBay for less than $3. Yup, $3.

The guy had listed it incorrectly and it had gone unnoticed, until I put a last minute bid on it. postage was a bit steep IMO (overnight courier within the same city), though I guess the guy wanted to get something for it.

The 9cu/ft vacuum is, if anything, a little strong, as it can "boil" liquids/resin if I'm not careful and let it run too long. It makes a *big* mess inside the chamber :)

Before I bought a vacuum pump, I was asking a refridgeration mechanic about using fridge compressor, and he was saying something about the lubrication they use and how running a non-closed loop to pull a vacuum, would shorten the life of the compressor. Then again, as you can pick-up fridges on Council pick-up days for nothing, I guess they can be pretty cheap. :)

As a thought, I wonder if the air intake of an air compressor can be used to pull a vacuum?
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 am

Meant no offense about the statement..... I was just pretty sure your wife had not nagged you before... :mrgreen: My wife is actually pretty cool with it all, considering.

And I am so jealous of your luck..... Just saying.

And Im looking at getting a for real pump..... it looks as if this extra workload Im having might actually pay off with something useful instead of silly things like bills.... :oops: :evil:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Previous

Return to The Waiting Room