[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - total newbie wants to cast this
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

total newbie wants to cast this

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

total newbie wants to cast this

Postby wmich50 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:33 am

These are 3d prints I ordered from Shapeways.
They are 60mm dia x 8mm at the thickest.
One is detail resin, the other is alumite.
Would like to cold cast a couple of bronze copies of the detail print.

Have never tried this, just wondering if it's possible.

I have a vacuum chamber that I've never used, and a gram scale that's probably good enough.

Don't have enough knowledge to have a preference for materials.
Just hoping I can purchase something that will produce satisfactory molds and castings.

One piece mold and gravity pour would suit my capabilities.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
wmich50
Casual

Re: total newbie wants to cast this

Postby Fleafa » Tue May 06, 2014 12:57 am

Vacuum on it's own may be good enough, though I always use pressure as well.
Do you have a vacuum chamber or just a pump?

Is the back flat? If so, you could do an open cast. Would save having to deal with all those teeth needing runners. Alternative to the runners would be mounting the whole thing on a thin plasticard disc.

Check out Smooth-On's products and tutorials:
http://www.benam.co.uk/products/plastic ... -cast-325/
http://www.benam.co.uk/products/polyest ... er-filler/

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue May 06, 2014 8:21 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby wmich50 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:21 am

Here's what I finally ordered.
Guess I'll take a crack at it.
Can't afford many mistakes with this stuff.

Bronze Powder - 1 lb.
SO-Strong® 9-Pack Color Sampler
Ease Release 200 - Aerosol Can
Mold Max 14 NV - Trial Size
Smooth-Cast 327 - Trial Size
wmich50
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue May 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Is there detail on the back side? If not then I'd be inclined to cast as an open top mould as Fleafa suggested.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby wmich50 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Backside is flat.
Will be using an open top mold.

For such a small casting, should I do a gel coat followed by back-fill as the Smooth On website says, or just mix in the metal powder and pour the item all at once.
wmich50
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Tue May 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Pour all in one go. Backfilling only makes sense where the material savings outweigh the extra time cost.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby wmich50 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:46 am

Got it. Thanks
wmich50
Casual

Postby wmich50 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Here's the first casting.
Actually looks better than this image (crappy camera).
I'm pleased.
wmich50
Casual

Postby Blindhorizon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Honestly that looks pretty darn fantastic to me! You are an official resin caster now, welcome!
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:29 pm

Great! Glad it has gone so well for you :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Beo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:27 am

That looks great!

Regarding the Mold Max 14 NV; did you vacuum or use pressure? I hear you don't have to degass Mold Max 14 NV.

Thanks.
Beo
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer