[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 4PU 10:9 mix ratio chart
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

4PU 10:9 mix ratio chart

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

4PU 10:9 mix ratio chart

Postby KoD » Mon May 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Hey Guys

having a play around with 4PU again, not had much luck with it recently and after reading through various threads I understand why. My math not being a strong point, does any have the chart that "johncast' mentions in this thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=807&p=9802&hilit=10%3A9+ratios+chart#p9802.

He mentioned he had a chart that list mixing X amount (by weight) of part A to y amount of Part B for a 10:9 mix ratio.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
KoD
Casual

Re: 4PU 10:9 mix ratio chart

Postby mangozac » Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 pm

It would be really simple to do: just make a spreadsheet with whatever values you want (I'd start with 10 grams and then 5g increments up to about 100g). In the second column put the formula "A1*10/19" and in the third column the formula "A1*9/19". The first column is total weight, the second column is part A weight and the third column part B weight.

Easy!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Mon May 12, 2014 7:07 pm

I like my silicone being 10:1 with catalyst. So much simpler :)
I think the platinum (additive) I have may be 10:9 though. Can't remember.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon May 12, 2014 9:15 pm

I like both my silicone and resin being 1:1. Easiest of them all :P

Fleafa, do you use the Tin cure silicone for your production moulds? What lifespan do you get?
mangozac

Postby KoD » Mon May 12, 2014 9:52 pm

KoD
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Tue May 13, 2014 2:08 am

I get no lifespan problems out of Tin cure, though most things I cast aren't at all harsh on the mould. Hardly retired a mould for shoulder pads.
I'm currently doing a run of 100 casts for Kabuki so I'll let you know how that goes. I'll be using more than one mould, of course!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby johncast » Wed May 14, 2014 7:56 am

Hi All

The old 4 PU raises its ugly head again. I say ugly as that would be the terms I would use to explain the results I have had with this, now it has a changed formula.

If the item you intend to cast is very thick all over like a box with few or no thin sections it may be OK but if the items are large and thin the resin has no ability to stay rigid and hold its own weight after even a long period of curing. Come back to look at a casting from this stuff a week out from pouring and the item is all drooped and sagged. I've gorn back to the Easycast .

Hi Kod the chart I mention in that earlier thread is only one I made up myself just to make life easier when casting the resin. My Maths is worst than everyone else here so I for one am not wanting to do maths to work out mix ratios right at the mixing stage of a casting day. I do have both part A and B on the chart , but having used the chart or charts over the years you really only need the part A bit on the chart. Because if you need 10 grams mixed and the chart notes you need 5.2 grams of part A all thats needed then is to keep adding part B till the scales reach 10 Grams . That's all I do. I use a TANITA jewellers balance to weight the resin and they have given me great service over the last 15 years for all the rubber and resin mixing. Not Cheap I will add that, but in my area of resin mixing I only require a small volume so accuracy is very important at these lower volumes.

Johncast
johncast
User

Postby mangozac » Wed May 14, 2014 9:37 am

mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer