[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Basic moulding supplies in Germany?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Basic moulding supplies in Germany?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Basic moulding supplies in Germany?

Postby Kosake » Fri May 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi guys.

I'm just starting with the whole casting and don't want to do anything too fancy for now. I'll pick up a starter kit from kaupo.de but once I run out say mould release spray or something, where can I get it locally? I don't want to pay 5-7€ delivery for a 5€ product. So far, I've been to an arts&crafts shop, Obi (home depot type store), two dedicated modelling stores (trains & rc-planes) but I can't find nothing in regular retail. Does anyone know, where to look for silicone, PU or resin and mould release agent in Germany?
Kosake
Casual

Re: Basic moulding supplies in Germany?

Postby mangozac » Fri May 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Go and see our Resin Addict mate PinselKnecht at ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Kosake » Fri May 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks, that's a definitive find, though not exactly a shop next door.
Kosake
Casual

Postby Kosake » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Sorry to raise this from the dead, but I'm still looking for a good source for moulding silicone.
The prices here are horrible. 25-30€ per liter, compared to 7$ on aliexpress, but the shipping rates for liquid good from china are so high, I am cheaper off just buying their finished products and not bother with casting myself.

So, does anyone know a good source for silicone hereabouts?
Kosake
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:58 am

The 25-30€ per litre price really isn't that high. I pay the equivalent of that for my resin here in Australia. Of course it's dirt cheap on Aliexpress, but it's an unknown quality product with no support so you really can't compare...
mangozac

Postby Kosake » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Kosake
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:42 am

I can't argue with you, but you're running into a basic wholesale/importing issue. It's very common that you can find cheap product in China, but you need to be purchasing in significant volumes to make shipping costs worthwhile. There may also be issues of import duties and (particularly for the EU) RoHS/REACH documentation requirements.

The crux of my last post is that the prices you're quoting from European suppliers are pretty standard, so I wouldn't obsess over it too much.
mangozac

Postby Kosake » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:37 am

Kosake
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:01 am

That's my point: it doesn't make sense to import unless you're a company importing large volumes. Which you then sell at a markup to people for whom it doesn't make sense to import in small volumes.

The retail prices you're quoting are normal so just suck it up and pay them. I'm contacted by resin and silicone companies in China all the time and, yes, they will sell me it at fantastic prices. They just have minimum volumes of 100kg! On top of that I would have to pay import duties, wharf fees, customs clearance and tax.
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer