[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Mould sprue alterations
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Mould sprue alterations

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Mould sprue alterations

Postby johncast » Mon May 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi

I have a large number of wax silicone injection moulds that I would like to alter slightly. The sprue shape is not quite to my liking and would like to make a alteration to these moulds with some silicone material to change the shape of these sprues channels. The moulds are made of Dow Corning green rubber 4130 J and there are over a 130 sprue channels to alter.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what silicone material would be good for such a job. There is only a slight heat resistances needed here as the silicone will only be in contact with wax of 80oC .
Thanks
Johncast
johncast
User

Re: Mould sprue alterations

Postby mangozac » Mon May 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Just to make sure we understand your requirements do you actually want to fill in a lot of the existing sprue channels?

Why not use the same rubber that the moulds are made of?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby johncast » Mon May 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Zac

The sprue in the moulds is a T shape but the connection of the sprue going across to the down section is webbed. I would like to remove the web and have a sprue that is a neater sharper T. I had thought of using the same rubber as it sticks to itself very well but to set up some system to be able to pour 30 or more moulds at a time and not have the rubber flow down into the cavity of the parts is quite time consuming. I expected that some tube silicone would be a quicker alternative.

Johncast
johncast
User

Postby mangozac » Tue May 27, 2014 8:52 am

Ahh I see.

What about adding some thixotropic compound to the silicone to make it more gel-like? Something like (although that's only for condensation cure silicone)...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer