[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Polycarbonate supplier - Melbourne
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Polycarbonate supplier - Melbourne

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Polycarbonate supplier - Melbourne

Postby KoD » Wed May 28, 2014 1:21 am

Hi People
Can anyone recommend a supplier for clear polycarbonate in Melbourne. I am wanting to make a clear 'lid' for my pressure pot so I can rig up some fittings to double it as a vacuum chamber.
Cheers
KoD
Casual

Re: Polycarbonate supplier - Melbourne

Postby KoD » Wed May 28, 2014 1:48 am

Can't seem to find any reasonable thickness of lexan (polycarbonate) on ebay ... I did find some 20mm acrylic > http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20mm-Thick-C ... 2a3d503187

Many of the commercial vacuum chambers (such as this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Gallon-Pro ... 417cf3ae4c) seem to use 20mm acrylic, so I'd assume that first ebay link should be fine.

Any advice?

Cheers
KoD
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed May 28, 2014 7:41 am

I'd try to avoid acrylic as it tends to shatter if it fails. Lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate so that's what I'd look for. Just call up a local industrial plastics supplier (often disguised as a sign maker) and tell them what you're after - there should be plenty of them around Melbourne ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby KoD » Wed May 28, 2014 8:18 am

KoD
Casual

Postby KoD » Wed May 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Okay ... so this is proving much harder to find then I thought.

I have rang atleast 10 places, both sign writers and plastic importers and the thickest polycarbonate I can find is 16mm ... and even then I need to buy a massive sheet, no off cuts.

If anyone does know a supplier it would be great, and given I'll still need to mess around with fittings/gauges etc, I might just fork out for a rig from Best Value Vacs.

Hrmmm
KoD
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed May 28, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm sure 16mm would be sufficient, but you certainly don't want to have to buy an entire sheet! I've been contemplating making one this week so I'm glad you've found this out instead of me :P

Maybe if you keep ringing around someone will have it in stock so you don't have to buy an entire sheet?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer