[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Lexan polycarbonate strength?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Lexan polycarbonate strength?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Lexan polycarbonate strength?

Postby rattrap » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:08 am

Hi folks,
I have just got all my set up together at long last, and I have just tested to see how quickly my 6.2 cfm pump vacuumes my 10ltr pot.

Got to half vacuum in about 15 seconds, then there was an almighty bang and sides of the pot caved in! So, that was that, it went in the bin!!
So I have tried my pressure pot, no problem, got to full vacuum in about 25 seconds. However,the polycarbonate sheet is literally being sucked inwards due to the vacuum, which looks very scary! Once I release the vacuum slowly, it goes back to its normal shape.
Is this safe? Am I worrying over nothing? I am told Lexan is vertually unbreakable, it's 12mm thick which is the thickest I could find.
I do have another piece of Lexan which I could possibly bond together for added strength. Has anyone else had this issue?
Thank you in advance....
rattrap
Casual

Re: Lexan polycarbonate strength?

Postby Fleafa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:30 pm

What was the first pot made of? :/
No idea about the Lexan. Surprised 12mm is flexing that much. What diameter is the pot?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby rattrap » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:14 am

The first pot was made of stainless steel, and the diameter of the pressure pot is about 14 inches..
rattrap
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:55 am

Ah, a cooking pot? Fair enough.
I guess 14 inches is a large area, but I'm still surprised with 12mm.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Deadmeat30 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:52 am

Its fine, but over time it'll crack, then implode into the pot. Just keep your eye on it.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby rattrap » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks for the advice guys.
What I have done just now is cut another piece and plastic bonded them both together. I will leave it overnight and test it at full vacuum tomorrow night.
Deadmeat's comment about it possibly imploding over time made me even more nervous :(
rattrap
Casual

Postby rattrap » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Well, that has worked! With two pieces sandwiched together there is very little bending at full vacuum.

Gives me a lot more confidence in being able to stand over it to watch the degassing. :D

Now that the kits finally finished and ready, time to crack on......... ;)
rattrap
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:36 pm

Good stuff!
'crack' on? ;)

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer