[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - First time casting, need help.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

First time casting, need help.

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

First time casting, need help.

Postby boradori007 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Hello everyone,

I am about to make my first mold and I wanted to ask some questions to ensure that I create a perfect mold.

First off, I am using Smooth-On Mold Star 16,
I am trying to create a keyboard keycap like this (one on the left)
http://img.tapatalk.com/189bf61f-52a2-cd99.jpg

That is the bottom part of the keycap and highest point is the stem part in the middle (second highest point being four corners of the keycaps)

Top is just flat like this
https://elitekeyboards.com/proddata/ima ... 20x400.jpg

Now, I am not sure how I should start off making a mold out of these keycaps and where I should strategically place my air vents/pour vent and how many I should have.

Any advice on how I can create a perfect mold so I can greatly minimize tiny air bubbles when I cast (I don't have enough money to purchase Vacuum or pressure pot)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :mrgreen:
boradori007
Casual

Re: First time casting, need help.

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:29 pm

I would do this:

Maybe more of an angle if you have no vacuum or pressure. Squeeze and tap repeatedly.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer