[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Need recommendation for alternative mold and resin
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Need recommendation for alternative mold and resin

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Need recommendation for alternative mold and resin

Postby boradori007 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I am currently using Mold Star 16 and Smooth Cast 326, while they are great, I think they are little too expensive. Is there something better or as good as what im currently using for better price? I am also looking for cheaper options on color pigments.

Thanks in advance!

PS Looking for something in US
boradori007
Casual

Re: Need recommendation for alternative mold and resin

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:47 am

Hi Boradori, welcome to RA!

I'm in Australia so I'm not too familiar with what's available over there. But I don know that the Smooth-on products are some of the best available. RA members in the UK are using Smooth Cast over other locally available products as they feel that the price premium is worth it. By their nature casting materials for finely detailed models are not cheap. What properties are you willing to trade in order to make the resin cheaper?

What colour pigment are you currently using? I wasn't aware they were that expensive?

It might also help to tell us what you're actually casting?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:24 pm

I currently use tap plastics, i don't use their platinum as at this point it's a little to costly for me. I use their normal casting silicone says it takes 8 hours to set, i typically let it sit under pressure for around 24-30 hours to ensure it sets completely. I have had stuff not set in 20 hours before and wasted the silicone, but it was winter and around 40-50 degrees out, and i cast in a garage that is not heated so i think the cold increases the time to set.

http://www.tapplastics.com/

I currently use their casting resin also, the work time is perhaps 2 minutes, i can fill 3-4 molds 28mm trooper sized with extras in each trooper casting. The detail is fantastic, i recommend using a mold release as this resin saps the silicone of it's oils very badly, but has a very good mould life if used with mold release agent.

For the dye i just use alumilite dyes which are cheap and can be found at hobby lobby, i was very excited to find this out actually, they carry a lot of casting stuff i had only ever seen at a specialty store. They regularly have 40% off one item coupons which can help the purchase of higher priced items.

If you have any other questions about any of the stuff i said i'm more then happy to help.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:53 pm

In the UK, so of limited help but I have used many different PU resins. For a long time I used one half the price of Smooth Cast but made the switch to SC305 as I thought the quality was worth it.
I use cheap tin/condensation rubber from Mouldlife.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer