[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 2 Part Mold leaks
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

2 Part Mold leaks

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

2 Part Mold leaks

Postby Eddie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:24 am

Hi I have now built my 2 part mold which is quite large needing to be clamped betwean 2 pieces of wood.

I have tested it pouring warter with limited success and it leaks a little, Any suggestions how I might improve this. Or do I need to clamp tighter or less tight.

New to this game. I wondered sould I make an RTV slip cover to put around the bottom of the 2 halfs.

The mold is so far 5 litres of RTV.

Cheers Eddie ;) :(
Eddie
Casual

Re: 2 Part Mold leaks

Postby Fleafa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Water has extremely low viscosity compared to resin, so that's not entirely surprising. You're unlikely to have a real leak from resin, but you will get flash.
Make sure the application of pressure is as even as possible all the way around the mould to minimise distortion and flash.
Make absolutely sure the water has all evaporated before you pour any resin.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:45 am

Fleafa has it spot on 8-)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Eddie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:33 am

And you were both right no leaks at all, plus the release agent helps as it provides a seal.

Cheers for the support. Eddie :)
Eddie
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer