[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - resin cures before mold full
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

resin cures before mold full

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

resin cures before mold full

Postby Eddie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:57 am

Hi I have just made my mold and tried the first pour, My mold is 5 litres of rtb rubber in 2 parts with a half pint (300ml) cavity and an undergate/bottom filling mold with a pour spout with long runner to the bottom to allow it to fill with no air.

Trouble is the resin is cureing when the mold gets to about half full... Does this mean my mold channels need opeing up more or should I invest in a slower cureing resin.

Sorry for the numpty beginner questions but I am one of those..

Cheers Eddie ;) :?
Eddie
Casual

Re: resin cures before mold full

Postby Pinselknecht » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:44 am

Hey Eddie,

what kind of resin do you use? Type? Curing time? Pot live time?

PK
Your onlineshop for miniature hobby:
Pinselknecht
Casual

Postby Eddie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:46 am

Hi there this is what I am using .

Cheers Eddie

http://www.dwrplastics.com/product-info ... in-1kg-Kit
Eddie
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:44 am

Obviously wider channels will allow the resin to flow faster, but you might also need to search for a resin with a longer pot life...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Eddie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks, Sadly the shape dictates a fill hole that is about 1.5mm diameter. I have however been treating this mold as a prototype and intent to make another and have learned much on the way.
That said its molding flawlesly so far. Just a shame I only have half of my item..

Would lower viscosity resin help.

Cheers Eddie :evil:
Eddie
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:09 pm

The viscosity is already pretty damn low on that resin! Slower cure is your best bet.
Some photos and diagrams would help us give more advice.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 pm

1.5mm is a tiny fill hole. You really need to consider maybe a second fill hole as well. Fleafa is right in that a photo would be very helpful ;)
mangozac

Postby Eddie » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:23 am

Hi thanks yes I will take some photos soon, However I have already embarked on making the second mold and feel I have learned enough to make a better second mold.

But before I do. What size channel should resin flow faster into, I am thinking about 4 to 6mm width should help,

But each question leads to another so,
1. is plasicine ok to make channels.
2. what size
3. how best to make a bottom fill mold do I need to think about back pressure of air as the cavity fills to a certain amount would the air remaining int he reducing cavity push back on the resin as it exits out the gas outlet causeing the resin to slow in filling, as I notice it seems to take longer to pour in as more goes in..

4. How do I get smooth sharp edges with plasticine . Any tips.

Cheers Rob ;)
Eddie
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:49 am

You can make channels out of whatever the hell you want! If I want resin to flow fast I usually go for something around 6-8mm diameter.

I've not done bottom fill so I can't really comment on it. I don't think it's that complex.

Sharp edges with the clay requires the use of a sculpting tool and water. Dip the tool into water and then do the smoothing - you'll notice it works far better than a dry tool. Saliva works even better. I've heard that water based "personal lubricants" are the best thing to use, but am yet to try it myself :P
mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer