[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - I need super strong unbreakable flexible material.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

I need super strong unbreakable flexible material.

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

I need super strong unbreakable flexible material.

Postby Galaxy Of Rust » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Does anybody know what is super strong & unbreakable but also flexible? I was using Amazing Casting Resin but it's too weak & brittle. I tried the MPK70 from hobbysilicone.com but it's not working out in the really thin areas. It says it's strong with slight flex & not brittle. But it's rock hard, almost no flex at all & the thin areas are brittle & crack.

I need something like that hard rubbery stuff McFarlane figures, Marvel Legends figures or Revoltech joints are made out of. Very strong but flexible. I need to reproduce Revoltech/Play Arts Kai joints. And I need something strong enough for ball joints for action figures. Something that can take a beating & isn't fragile at all. Going by the description MPK70 sounded perfect but it's not like the description at all. So out of all the different materials & companies how am I supposed to find what I'm looking for if I can't trust the descriptions?
Galaxy Of Rust
Casual

Re: I need super strong unbreakable flexible material.

Postby mangozac » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:51 pm

There are flexible polyurethane resins available with different hardnesses. There should be some product out there to suit your requirements, but being on the other side of the globe I really can't make any recommendations :(
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Galaxy Of Rust » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:47 pm

How do people find the perfect material? There are too many out there & they are all expensive. Not like you can simply try out each one (unless you have money to burn). Instead of a tiny $5 trial size they sell big $25-$30 trial sizes making you get stuck with way too much useless material if it's not what you're looking for.

The guy at Smooth-On recommended Task 4 or Task 13. I need an easy 1-1 mix ratio so Task 13 is out. And I need a somewhat fast demold time, 45 minutes or less, Task 4 has a 16 freakin hour demold time so that's also a no go.

The guys in Hong Kong are making custom Revoltech Joints & selling them on ebay. But they won't let you buy the individual parts you need. You have to buy random lots so you only get a couple of the ones you need & get stuck with tons of the ones you don't need. Then you have to resell the junk parts to get some of your money back. It's a huge pain in the ass! I'm trying to make my own to avoid the hassle. I've already made perfect duplicates, the molds are done. But the tiny pegs that hold them together snap right off. I just need a strong slightly flexible material so the tiny pegs won't break off. The right material is out there. I need something meant for tiny (thin like a paperclip) mechanical parts that's not fragile, a 1-1 mix ratio & a sort of fast demold time.
Galaxy Of Rust
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:54 am

mangozac

Postby Galaxy Of Rust » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:06 am

Galaxy Of Rust
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:04 pm

If you want such a long pot life then you have no choice but to accept such a long demould time. It's just the basic law of resin!

I assume what they are referring to as a "polyurethane elastomer" is the same as a "flexible polyurethane" I mentioned earlier ;)
mangozac

Postby TomGuadalupe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:25 am

TomGuadalupe
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer