[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Silicone Hardness
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Silicone Hardness

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Silicone Hardness

Postby mangozac » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:54 am

Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for a new silicone product. The one that I have been using is a Shore A 20 hardness, which is actually quite soft. So I figured I'd ask what the hardness of the silicones you guys were using are. For the record the application is generally single part split moulds (which generally need to be a little more flexible than multi-part moulds).

Please post the silicone you use, its hardness and how you find its flexibility. I'll compile it all in a table here for future reference ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Silicone Hardness

Postby Fleafa » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:59 pm

I was using . It was great, but had some problems being used soon after curing with Smooth-Cast 305. A slow cure, but wasn't a problem for me. UK only, I think.
Currently trying . It is fine, though a little too soft if I lower the viscosity. Went with it as it is cheaper than the opaque plat-cure, which only comes in 15/16A or 30A. The speed of cure is great. US and UK?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Very interesting. 15/16A sounds quite soft and 30A seems to be getting fairly high for our kind of moulding. I think the 20-25A seems to be a really nice range, but the product I'm looking at is 28A. I'm sure it will be fine but I'm just trying to get a feel for it. Probably going to push the button on a 1kg sample pack this week to try it out. 90+ minutes of pot life means I can degas it for ages!
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:08 pm

28A with would drop that down to the sweet spot (24A @5%, 21.5A @10%) whilst dropping the viscosity (75% and 55% respectively).

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:03 am

mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Fleafa
Junkie