[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Am i doing something wrong
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Am i doing something wrong

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Am i doing something wrong

Postby pod1138 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:42 pm

hello all
i'm trying my hand at resin casting and my moulds i'm making are coming out really well very clean, no bubbles i am very happy with, But heres my problem, i'm using a Polylite Water Clear Casting Resin (its not ideal for what i need & i will be asking for a replacement in another post) i'm finding i get vaining over some of the flat surfaces which i can live with (it looks cool) & random shrinkage between 1-6 mm
any advice

pod
pod1138
Casual

Re: Am i doing something wrong

Postby Fleafa » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:30 pm

How thick are your casts? Excessive thickness can cause a lot of heat during curing which can lead to more shrinkage.
Do you have any pictures?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby pod1138 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:35 pm

ok i'll give it in mms & ins
the original
10" x 2 1/4" x 1 1/8" (256mm x 61mm x 26mm)
and the casting comes out at
9 11/16" x 2 1/8" x 1" (250mm x 54mm x 25mm)

i will post some pics once i'm finished, knowing my luck its something dumb like using the wrong resin
pod1138
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:52 am

That shrinkage (between 2% and 8%) is more than I would expect.
You could try adding less catalyst. How much are you adding currently?
You could also try pre-warming the mould.
Have you read the ?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby pod1138 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:12 am

this is what is on the tin

clear (unpigmented) blue/green liquid casting resin
activate with MEKP catalyst 1% min(10cc per Kg) 2% max (20cc per Kg)

each tin is 500g, i've mixed 2 lots with 10cc (as per the max)

i'm working from a side room at home i guess you should think laundry room,
pod1138
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 am

You should try less catalyst.

Also, please tell me you have good ventilation and are using a mask. Polyester resin fumes are BAD when inhaled.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:53 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby pod1138 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:37 pm

pod1138
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:06 pm

Let us know how you get on.
Good to hear you're not killing yourself! Make sure you have vapour filters as well as particulate filters :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby pod1138 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:06 pm

ok just an update
And its going ok i've been casting for 6 weeks i'm trying other resins & silicones. i still get the vaining on some on the castings i do have some problems with bubbles i think its something like 1 good cast in 3
pod1138
Casual

Postby johncast » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:51 am

Hi Pod

Patterns on the casting and sounds as if you are using Polyester resin. Not good

I'd be trying a new resin, polyester resin are not compatable with many rubbers and you get TRYPING affect on the casting and in cases stays sticky. Try a urethane resin.

The other advantage is the mixing where there are problems . Urethane resins need in most cases a 50% 50% mix or somewhere in that order. With other resin a 1% cat into a mix is hard to get right in small volumes if you don't have a accurate scale such as a jewellers balance to weight it absolutely spot on.

Johncast
johncast
User

Postby pod1138 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:33 am

ok john i've just looked for urethane resin & i may have some problems buying it but i will keep looking but what i will do in put up a lynk to show what i am buying & where from & see if any more ideas come to mind
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polycraft-GP- ... 35c352e6e7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polycraft-Pol ... 35dffc6823
pod1138
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:58 am

Are you UK based?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby pod1138 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:31 pm

yes
pod1138
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:12 pm

So you've found the distributor I am currently using! My bread & butter are:

So I use the same silicone you found.

The resin you found is polyester resin, as previously discussed. They can be tricky. They don't like to cure fully in contact with air, for example, so you can end up with a sticky surface. A wax additive can be used to minimise that problem, but there are others. My biggest issue with the PE resins is cure time and the foul vapors.

So, you could try a "water clear" polyurethane resin. Expect to pay considerably more:

You may even want something like this:

Without knowing your project, it is difficult to make a good recommendation.

Your next consideration is that water clear resins are intolerant of condensation-cure (tin-based) silicones. This may be the problem you are having. You need to use addition-cure (platinum-based) silicones. Again, expect to pay more:

These silicones are longer-lasting but sensitive to cure-inhibiting substances - avoid any moisture. Most manufacturers steer you away from wooden spatulas for mixing as they may contain moisture!

Fleafa
Junkie

Next

Return to Dr Polymer