[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - How can I make Polyester Resin less shiny?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

How can I make Polyester Resin less shiny?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

How can I make Polyester Resin less shiny?

Postby shanmeow » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:47 am

Hello there! :) I'm very new to using resins, so sorry if this question seems a bit obvious!!

I've been doing some casts with pigmented polyester resin, painting on top with acrylic paints & then applying an additional layer of clear polyester resin on top to hold the my acrylic paint design. It has worked pretty well, however the additional layer of resin has made my cast SUPER shiny! And I don't like this finishing at all! :(

Is there a way i can take away some of the shine from the polyester resin?

I have heard that washing it in acetone might help? I have also heard about using wet & dry paper on it to take out some of the shine- but this wont work so well for me because I have a lot of texture on my casts that i want to keep!

Has anyone got any ideas? Would acetone work?

Thank you so much! :)
shanmeow
Casual

Re: How can I make Polyester Resin less shiny?

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:06 am

I guess acetone might work if you tried misting it on. The other option is a small sandblaster - it would certainly offer much better control of the process.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:16 pm

matt varnish?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby shanmeow » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:53 pm

thank you so much :)
shanmeow
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer