[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Mould size
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Mould size

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Mould size

Postby FoundrySE » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:39 am

Im working on a mould (will propbably be cast like split mould but cut ompletely aprt into a 2-part mould) for some 28mm legs.

How much mould meterial do you recommend between the edge of the widest component to the mould box wall?

I don't have the means to post a picture of the parts nor do I have the skills to draw something on my tablet but I'll try to illustrate with text...

|LEGO| space_a | object | space_a |LEGO|
|LEGO| space_c | space_c | space_c |LEGO|
| BOTTOM_OF_BOX | BOTTOM_OF_BOX |

object(multiple objects on sprue) varies from 8mm to 22mm
space_a is space from objet to box wall
space_c is space from sprue to bottom of mold.

Or should I try to remake the mould into a proper splitmould?
If so, do i pur into the "waist" and down into the legs or reverse?
FoundrySE
Casual

Re: Mould size

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:00 am

Split moulds work great for things like legs, but only if you're using vacuum in your casting procedure, otherwise you'll have big air pocket issues. People generally sprue legs so that the feet are closest the sprue.

[space_c] doesn't need to be much at all, and for a split mould could be as thin is a couple of millimetres.

[space_a] you want to be wide enough to help with mould alignment on a split mould. At least 5mm, but 10+ is better. It's kind of proportional to the volume of the parts being cast.

For a 2-part mould both [space_a] and [space_c] need to be wide enough to have some locating lugs - generally at least 10mm.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby FoundrySE » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:33 pm

I intended to cure under pressure but a two part mould for legs should rather be cured under vacuum?
FoundrySE
Casual

Postby FoundrySE » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 pm

What are the recommendations for sprues with arms, torsos, heads?
Important for me with the arms/torso casts is that I get good holes for magnets
FoundrySE
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:47 pm

The problem is that you're going to have trouble getting the resin down into the legs. Pressure will crush small bubbles but can't remove large air cavities. You might have some success squeezing the mould a bit as you pour the resin in, but the downside to that is that it can cause mould slip...
mangozac

Postby FoundrySE » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:02 pm

My sprue is currently modelled from Paulson's guide.

With the legs oriented upside down (feets toward the vent)
FoundrySE
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Ahh ok. If you have the separate entry and vent channels you should be fine ;)
mangozac

Postby FoundrySE » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Sweet! so then just pressure is acceptable?

Now I JUST
need finish the work on the masters,
And prepare the other sprues,
And get some new RTV,
And get some new resin.

And find a way to pay for it all...
FoundrySE
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:20 pm

Well I mean vacuum and pressure is ideal, but sprued like you've shown you should be able to get acceptable results using just pressure ;)
mangozac

Postby FoundrySE » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:38 pm

I am aiming for a vacuum chamber but it is not likely to be ready until this fall
FoundrySE
Casual

Postby FoundrySE » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:32 am

Vacuum ventuuri pump sourced today... ;)
FoundrySE
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:55 am

You're going to use a venturi device, huh? This will be interesting - I don't know of anybody else currently using one. Do you have a compressor that puts out a significant flow rate?
mangozac

Postby FoundrySE » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:03 am

We'll se if it's beefy enough, I'll figure something out otherwise, My brother has a bigger one that's too big for his needs. It used to run a pneumatic robot for sharpening saw chains for large scale harvesting machines. It used to run for like 6 hours continously every day...
FoundrySE
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:06 pm

mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer