[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Casting Hair
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Casting Hair

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Casting Hair

Postby maisysupastar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:32 am

Hi Everyone I am new here and this is my first post - so apologies if it has been asked a thousand times already!
I have been asked to set someones hair in resin.....not a problem for me normally, however, this hair is white. Is there a way of setting it so it actually shows up? I tried against a black resin background but it has practically disappeared!! Any suggestions would be fab as its a friends request (her mum died) and I would like to be able to preserve it for her.

Many thanks
Jo
maisysupastar
Casual

Re: Casting Hair

Postby follox » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:20 am

I've never really come up with a satisfactory answer to this one, so I am watching for replies also! The best I've managed is to pre-coat the hair in glue or hair spray to change the index of refraction - the theory being that without treatment it matches that of the resin, therefore becoming 'invisible' when submerged.

It's very difficult to find information shared on the subject, it's something of a holy grail and closely guarded secret, I think :)
follox
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:33 am

What about doing it in two pours? The first pour add a small amount of translucent smoke tint. Then add the hair, then a non-tinted top layer.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby maisysupastar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 am

I have looked everywhere for an answer to this - so if anyone is in the know I'd love the 'secret' as it is driving me mad!
If I pre- coat the hair in glue or hairspray - does this not discolour the resin? I will give it a go but tbh I am not feeling too hopeful.

Please please if anyone has a decent way of doing this I would really appreciate it as this is her mothers lock of hair and she passed away recently :( Anyway any other ideas are all welcome :)
maisysupastar
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:43 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Dr Mathias » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:52 am

I would sandwich it between two layers of glass, rather than go the resin route. Too risky IMO.
Dr Mathias
Casual

Postby follox » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:04 am

follox
Casual

Postby maisysupastar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Ok thanks guys - I will do a test piece and see what happens with it. I appreciate your comments though! x
maisysupastar
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer