[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - HELP: Silicone molds from 3d prints for resin casting
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

HELP: Silicone molds from 3d prints for resin casting

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

HELP: Silicone molds from 3d prints for resin casting

Postby bdbrooker » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:28 am

Anyone have any advice on how to make silicone molds from 3d printed plastic models for resin casting?

I'm in the process of making resin toys for a comic book that I'm working on. I got some models 3d printed at Shapeways.com using their cheaper polished hard plastic. I tried making a mold using MPK 2125 green tin-cure silicone, but the silicone stuck to my model making it impossible to free, ruining my mold and breaking my model.

I'm just looking for any advice here. I'm going about this all wrong. what materials should i print from and what type of silicone is best for this? i know this is possible, I'm just in dire need of some help.

thanks,
Brandon
bdbrooker
Casual

Re: HELP: Silicone molds from 3d prints for resin casting

Postby unobarramodels » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:03 pm

Hello Brandon,
You need to apply a fine layer of petroleum jelly (vaseline) with a soft brush pay attention in not leave marks or buy spray a release agent more specific provided by the same seller that you would buy the silicone. This is valid for all 3D materials except wax models that release easy. Im sorry for my poor english and good luck!
Kind regards,
Luis
unobarramodels
Casual

Re: HELP: Silicone molds from 3d prints for resin casting

Postby Fleafa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:02 am

Yeah, just use a mold release. I use a spray-wax one myself. If you are using polished Strong & Flexible, I can see why it would cling; that material is rough even when polished. A rough surface gives the silicone more surface to adhere to.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer