[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - GW Sues Chapterhouse Studios & Paulson Games
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

GW Sues Chapterhouse Studios & Paulson Games

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

GW Sues Chapterhouse Studios & Paulson Games

Postby blind pig » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:51 am

So, are we going to discuss this?

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/12/28/42325

http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuit.asp?id=68828

Having run afoul of GW on eBay when we were selling resin drop pods (before FW made them!), GW have a very broad idea of their IP and what an infringement is.

Boo to them filing just before Christmas......

Mangozac Edit: Paulson Games is also tangled up in it!
blind pig
Junkie

Re: GW Sues Chapterhouse Studios

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:32 pm

I agree.....

BOO GW... Their Legal is just horrible...... they have done this before, and won due to them having more money to drag it out longer...
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Yeah I've been aware of this since xmas eve. I've got a copy of the legal document (but sorry, it's confidential so I can't share) and there's a lot in there. Filing just before xmas is downright dirty; shows just how soulless both GW and their lawyers are.

My opinion is that there is some complete crap in there on which GW has nothing, however there is some other claims (pertaining to trademarks) for which Chapterhouse will have a lot of trouble defending IMO. There are a bunch of claims in there with regards to the SAW kit too (again, a lot of them utter crap, like the colours it is painted in the promotional pictures), which may or may not have an impact on me.

I was talking to Nick (from Chapterhouse) the other day and he's on the offensive with it all. He was talking about requests for donations for his defence. I'm just worried about the fact that GW's pockets are much deeper than Nick's (even with donations).

In any case, a LOT of people will be following this one intently!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Loken » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:49 pm

GW are assholes when it comes to IP. And filing before Christmas is pure low -life bullshit.

I wish I was a multi-millionaire, I would pay for the entire defence.

Alec
Loken
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:55 pm

So you only have $1,999,999.99 then Alec? :mrgreen:
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:25 pm

Got me buggered how the colours a mini is painted in could infringe on their IP/ Copyright / Trademarks.

It's not like you see orange and white and immediately think, "Oh yeah, Tau" like when you see red and white on a soda can and think "Coca cola".

That walker dosen't resemble anything in the current GW Tau range. You use words like "rail gun" but I think the US Navy may beat GW to the use of that name and technology.

Was the stippling effect that GW didn't like the black oil/soot on the paintwork?
blind pig
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:30 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:45 pm

That's only what was submitted to the courts. The actual letters sent to CHS and Paulson Games were much bigger and included that as an annex. It's in the rest of the documents that the actual "infringements" are discussed.
mangozac

bad santa... bad!

Postby paulson games » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:51 pm

who's got two thumbs and is getting sued by GW? >this guy<

Two days before christmas I got "letter" from GW announcing their intent to sue me and chapterhouse games. I won't go into details until I get an ok from my lawyer, but let me say it's a class move by GW filing essentially on christmas. bah.

Best part of it is that they have me confused as a business partner with chapterhouse which is completely false, and claim that I had a hand in creating the SAW super heavy walker which again is completely false.

The list of complaints I got was significantly longer than the court document that is linked, somewhere roughly around 50 pages. I'll posts specifics if/when I can but it may be a while. The upside to this is I'll have invaluable legal experience when it's said and done :|
paulson games

Re: bad santa... bad!

Postby blind pig » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Last edited by blind pig on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blind pig
Junkie

Re: GW Sues Chapterhouse Studios & Paulson Games

Postby blind pig » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:46 pm

On that Heavy Walker, are the black and white symbols on the front and on the knee painted on or modeled in?

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2010/5 ... jpg__thumb

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2010/5 ... jpg__thumb
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Painted. When I first made the lower leg I modelled in a Tau symbol there, but decided it wiser to leave it as a bare dome, so redid it that way ;)
That was one of the things mentioned in the legal docs by the way!
mangozac

Postby thedreadking » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Wow what a great xmas present to have they are really all heart :evil:

I hope it comes out ok for both of them, are both still allowed to continue trading while this is ongoing? if not it could be very difficult :(

I know in the UK GW are very keen on anyone who they claim over steps the marks and uses there names on different products ie vehice parts etc.

It amazes me that people on ebay can get away with it!! i guess because chaperhouse & paulson games are business's and not individuals they feel that you need to be made an example of & show what GW are prepared to do in order to what they say is protect there business:cry:

I am sure it is the start of a very worrying time and hope it can be sorted quickly for both of them

'Dred'
thedreadking
Casual

Postby Arkangel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:42 am

I posted here a reply with my utter disgust at what has happened. For personal reasons I have since deleted it. I WILL NOT have my hobby jeapodised by lawsuites in the states. While I'm sure to continue buying GW products I will make every attempt in the future to buy from 3rd party discount internet stores. I would prefer at least some of the money go to independant retailers than than the 'big machine'.

I hope all at CHS and Jon ride this out well.

Regards

Arkangel
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby NoseGoblin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:06 am

My heart goes out to all those who had their Christmas so rudely interrupted.

Obviously, the charges to Paulson are complete crap, as are the charges against the walker. Chapterhouse is in for a bit of a fight but there is nothing illegal about making add-on parts, it will come down to a ruling on their use of trademark use.

GW uses tactics like this to squash the competition, they will file wildly absurd legal arguments in hopes it never reaches court due to the expense to the defendants.
I for one hope that this goes to trial after a change of venue has been filed. I seriously doubt they will win the case but I would not blame any of those named for not wanting to go through the legal ringer and the expense of defending themselves. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt to prove it.

All the best,
Mark-
DreamForge-Games
NoseGoblin
Casual

Next

Return to Dr Polymer