[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Long pot life resins?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Long pot life resins?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Long pot life resins?

Postby geomod » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Greeting fellow addicts,

I have struck a problem that I hope my fellow inmates can help with.

I am using a pressure pot to cast 2 part pinkysil or ultrasil molds. The problem I am having is that the resin I use has only a 5 min pot life.

This means that by the time I pour one mold I need to get it under pressure fast. This results in one mold per pressure pot run.

Not wanting to buy another pressure pot (although this is tempting), does anyone here know of a resin with a longer (ideally 20 min) pot life? Available in Australia?

Cheers,

geomod
geomod
User

Re: Long pot life resins?

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Smooth-Cast® 310 20 Min pot life
Smooth-Cast® 322 15-20 min pot life

both of these SHOULD be avail to ship to Au.... main site here:

Also you can chill your resin to add time to the pot life, but I doubt you'll stretch 20 min from 3-5....

EDIT!!!! heres a distro for the above products!!
Australia
Rowe Trading
4 Holder Ave.
Richmond
South Australia 5033
Tel: 61-8-8234-0000
Fax: 61-8-8234-2092
Ask for Mr. Chris Rowe
fwoods@rowetrading.com.au rowe@rowetrading.com
http://www.rowetrading.com.au/
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby geomod » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks MJ, I didnt know I could get smooth-on in OZ.

I'm following this up now.

Grin,

geomod
geomod
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:48 pm

I didn't know either - but I can't exactly say I tried. The problem with the 20 minute pot life stuff is the quoted 3-4 hour demould time - you will have to leave the resin under pressure in the mould for that entire time. With the 5 minute pot life resin you're using you could do at least 6 or 7 pulls in the same amount of time....
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby geomod » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:57 pm

Good point mangozac. :mrgreen:

However, I do like the sound of a resin that has the viscosity of water. :o

The resin I am using at the moment is a low temperature resin that has a pot life of 5 minutes and a demould time of 1 - 3 hours. I am using this one due to its low viscosity but I think I will give the smooth-on a try.

Cheers,

geomod
geomod
User

Postby blind pig » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:00 pm

I chill my resins which give about double the pot life if I require longer than 5minutes, it has the drawback of thickening the resin, of course.

I ended up just getting another pressure pot from Supercheap Auto when on sale, which meant I could vacuum a mould and have another pot casting under pressure, or two pots casting.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:26 pm

mangozac

Postby geomod » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Blind Pig,

You present a compelling argument for another pot. ;) :lol:

Mangozac,

I'm using Procast at the moment.

Thanks for the advice all. Keep it coming.

Cheers,

geomod
geomod
User

Postby blind pig » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Getting another pot can be cheap, once you know what you are doing and have everything already set up and they are on special.

I like Procast, and it is my alternative resin if I cannot get 4PU.

What is the cost of smooth-on compared to Procast? You may find that with the long pot life and demould time, it may be cheaper cost and time wise to simply buy another pot and go that way.

It is something we must think about when casting: is it cheaper time and cost wise to do it one way or another?

With the long pot life and demould time of the smooth-on, you may only get half a dozen perfect castings in a full day, with another pot and a shorter potlife/demould time resin, you may get two dozen pulls in a day, for little more monetary outlay.

Depends if it is hobby, or for putting food on the family table.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby geomod » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi Blind Pig,

Thanks for the advice. At the moment it is entirely hobby related but you never know.

Cheers,

geomod
geomod
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:12 pm

mangozac

Postby blind pig » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:28 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby geomod » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:59 pm

geomod
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:35 am

Oddly enough and kinda on topic, a second pot arrived on my door today. I apparently bought one on Evil-bays and forgot when my Grizzly pot showed.....

the new pot is taller and DEF used for paint, but Im thinking I might set it sideways and use it for smaller works like this lady:

look toward the end.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:28 am

mangozac

Next