[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Thinking about starting some fine resin casting
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Thinking about starting some fine resin casting

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Thinking about starting some fine resin casting

Postby Kennui » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:42 am

I talked to my good friend about my interest in casting (way back) and at one point we were going to pick up a whiteboard for me, we happened to pass through the only barnes in the city.

Now, he's interested in casting small things and get a taste of it, he mentioned casting buttons with designs on them such as steampunk (for costumes) as he's into that stuff. I will want to cast up tidbits like marine heads and custom weapons.

I'll be checking other threads and guides on google of course, if I actually get into it. So what is recommended for durability? If he does want to cast up buttons and small costume accessories, what are some suitable casting materials? Should it even be resin?

From my limited knowledge, I said we should put around $150 in to get started. $200 to be safe (as there will be a lot of fluff-ups when just starting out). I guess this thread can be about convincing me and my friend to get into it. Suggestions on things to make and cast?
Kennui
Casual

Re: Thinking about starting some fine resin casting

Postby blind pig » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Buttons themselves would be easy, but the loop in the back is the problem.

I'm making a Death Korps of Krieg uniform ATM and bought some plain plastic buttons from Spotlight and had Darryl from Stewarts Trophies here in Brisbane laser engrave my version of The Imperial Eagle into them.

To cast them, I'd just make a simple mould like you'd do for bases, but do the loop on the back out of a bent-up paperclip, sit that in the mould and cast the polyurethane around the bent-up paperclip so it is embedded in the resin and an integral part of it.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:00 am

Bec described my thoughts exactly! Durability wise the resin will be fine - just don't make it too thin (less than say 1.5mm). To start out with something as simple as that grab a ($66.00) and ($37.40) and you'll be set. You could grab some too, but honestly it sounds like everything you want to start off with will be single part moulds anyway which don't need claying.

Buttons will be moulded and cast the same way as bases. Heads and weapons (and most other things really) can be done using the technique.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby swampfiend » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:36 pm

Hello Blind Pig, Mangozac and fellow resin addicts
I was wondering if you or someone you know takes on casting commissions? In Brisbane/Queensland preferably.
This year I aim to get a pressure chamber set up. Until then I was hoping to get a price on getting 10-20 clear resin bottles cast up.

I use a gravity fed casting process and a dental vibrator currently and find that I get some bubbles in my cast.
I’ve tried Easycast and Epoxycast. The Epoxycast has fewer bubbles than the Easycast but sets a little yellow in colour.

I was hoping to get some clear, uncloudy bottles.
The bottle is a 1/6 scale St Ides 40 ounce bottle I sculpted (16.12 X 16.12 X 47.63 mm)

Below are three photos of how I’ve made the mould in 3 parts.
1 mould is for the bottle base.
The other two moulds form the bottle upper with a wall of about 2-3 mm.

I can send you the black bottle components (made of resin and primed) and or a solid resin bottle recast from the 3d print.

The bottle neck is just flat across the top and I was drilling a 1.5 mm hole down the centre to meet the ‘hollow’ of the bottle.
I then glue the two parts of the bottle together

Casts I’ve done:

http://www.facebook.com/swampfiend

Kind regards
John
swampfiend
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:33 am

Hi John,

Definitely a curious project! Can I ask what 1/6 scale bottles are used for?

After looking at your site it looks and sounds like you've already got a pretty good handle on casting processes. As you've discovered, however, clear resins can be a real pain to work with. Do the products you've used not require post-curing in an oven?

Are they supposed to have the frosted finish as per your casts (or is that just the fine bubbles)? A vacuum casting setup might be more useful for this kind of thing (degas the resin and then pour into the mould) so long as the venting is set up correctly...

I would give you a quote to do the job, but alas I just don't have time at the moment (or foreseeable in the next month or two).
mangozac

Postby swampfiend » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks Mangozac
The 1/6th scale bottles are a prop for a 1/6 scale figure I am finishing off. I have promised some casts to the guy who reviews 40s on his site:
http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/

He took the reference pics for me.

Yeah, I've been casting for a few years now. Clear is such a pain!
Easycast was a pain. Mostly it wasn't curing. Also it was riddled with bubbles. It was mentioned to me afterwards that no one has success with Easycast without degassing/vacuuming.

The Epoxycast cured okay. I would leave them cure for 12-24 hours. It clouds up though. The Epoxycast did have quite a few bubbles despite me stirring in the one direction, pouring it slow and having the mold on a dental vibrator on low. Also, the Epoxycast has a yellow tinge. I was hoping for a clearer bottle but so long as they a near bubble free I'd be happy if they were a bit yellow. I knew about post-heating certain resins but have never read you should do that for Epoxycast.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct= ... 3888886716

I'd love it if I can commission someone in Queensland/Brisbane to cast some up. If you don't have the time Mangozac can you suggest someone?

I aim to set myself up to vacuum cast this year. The bills keep coming though!

Cheers
Thanks
swampfiend
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:26 am

You're right, the Epoxycast Clear datasheet doesn't specify post curing, but the Easycast clear does. Were you using addition cure silicone as specified for the Easycast Clear?

The only other caster in Australia I have first hand experience with is John of , but he's in Sydney. I have been intending to check out casting services but not had a chance (I believe he's West of Brisbane).
mangozac

Postby swampfiend » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks Mangozac. I just emailed Arms Corps models.

Cheers
John
swampfiend
Casual

Postby swampfiend » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:32 am

Gday Mangozac and friends

I was wondering if your schedule has freed up any to take on a commission to help me cast these clear bottles?

I’ve tried four resins now.

I am getting better results with resin #4 (Amazing Clear Cast Kit - 2 Part Clear Coating & Casting Resin).

I was still hoping for less cloudy, clearer results. I am getting less bubbles as I am using a bottom pour technique.

I am still using a gravity feed. I don’t have access to vacuum/degassing and pressure equipment.

Armscorps doesn’t really have the time at present

Anyway…

Thanks
Regards
John
swampfiend
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:09 am

Sorry John, my schedule is even busier so commission work is just not possible for the foreseeable future :(
mangozac

Postby swampfiend » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm

No problem Mangozac.

I thought I’d at least ask.

I also asked orncastings.com but they are busy/don't really do clear resin

In the meantime I have smoothed out my tool to an ultra-glassy like smoothness and will make a new mold.

Cheers for that.

:)
swampfiend
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:54 am

No worries ;)

Have you considered setting up your own equipment?
mangozac

Postby swampfiend » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks Mangozac.

Yeah, I will get my own equipment.

Been spending up big recently on dog doors; 3d scanning; concert tickets and stuff.

Later in the year I'll invest in equipment. Maybe after my tax refund

:mrgreen:
swampfiend
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer