ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

sticky resin

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: sticky resin

Postby blind pig » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:57 am

The resins commonly available here in Australia are mixed by weight, and in my experience, don't cure too well when eyeballed by volume in small amounts ~ 5ml.

I haven't weighed the 4Pu as a 1:1 ratio and then seen what 100g of A&B measure by volume. Something to do this weekend I think. ;)
blind pig
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:59 pm

The resins I've been using (smooth-on & micromark) are 1:1 mixes by volume, so that's definately helped keep thing simple all I use are the clear measuring cups which get emptied into a disposable cup for mixing. I typically only ever use volumes of 1 to 1.5 liquid oz so it's a pretty small amount of resin.

(I ocassionally mix amounts as small as .5 liquid oz but that is very touchy and prone to error if the resin ratio is even slightly off.)

I'm not sure I'd want to mess around with having to weigh out the differant halves. With the resins I use I'm pretty sure that when at equal volumes the B half is slightly heavier than the A as it's quite a bit denser and tends to trap air longer.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:34 pm

The 4PU resin I use comes in a pair of bottles around 1L each (when buying as a 2kg pack as I do these days). You mix it by weight and its obvious that the densities of the two parts are different as there is always more of one part than the other (ideally until you get to the end).

Like I said you could work out (or even more easily find out) the densities of the two parts and then mix by volume instead of weight, but there would be a different volume for each part (the volume mix ration would be something like 1:0.95), which would be more of a pain to measure than by weight with an appropriate pair of scales.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Previous

Return to Dr Polymer