ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Melting!

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Melting!

Postby paulson games » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:26 pm

Ok, maybe not me personally melting, but I had a weird mishap with some uncured resin.

I had maybe a quarter oz of left over Part A which I wanted to get out of my squeeze bottle so I upended it into a disposable cup and left it sitting so that it'd all drain out.

I left it over night and when I went back down to my workbench today I went to pick up the bottle and found it fused with the solo cup. I gave it a good pull and it popped off along with the walls of the cup. However the bottom of the solo cup and a small pile of resin and plastic goop were completly stuck to the top of my workbench.

Fortunately I have a sheet of cardboard down to protect the workbench but the stuff is a nasty gooey mess that won't scrape off and likely would have ruined the surface.

Lesson learned don't leave uncured resin in dispoable cups, or other plastic stuff that hasn't been tested as it may end up eating through the container.

(once I cleaned off the squeeze bottle it seemed to have remained unaffected, it just got gunky where it contacted the solo cuup)
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Melting!

Postby mangozac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:30 am

My God that is a hideous man! :!:

Interesting about the uncured resin eating the styrene. I wander if it's more related to the specific brand or what?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Melting!

Postby Joey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:42 am

That has happened to me too (not the face thing -the cup thing).
Thank god for the newspaper underneath.
Joey
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer