[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Some (complex?) casting help from noob
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Some (complex?) casting help from noob

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Some (complex?) casting help from noob

Postby init_zero » Sat May 26, 2012 7:59 am

Hello everyone. My name is Jesse AKA init_zero. I have been an interested observer of your fine forum for some time and decided now is the time to engage. I have also been a longtime member of the onesixthwarriors.com forum in case anyone here is a member there as well.

As the latter suggests, I build 1/6 scale customs. I am currently working on a project that I need some advice on how to achieve the best cast.
The picture below shows a two-part chest armor piece and helmet. I have been doing some research on how to cast these but am coming up a bit short on the best method. The challenge is that the (chest) pieces are thin in some places and not in others. For example the chest is thicker than the connecting pieces under the arms. The challenge with the helmet is that it has some inner detail in the ear area.

What I have considered so far and my assumptions/challenges:
- roto cast: I could in theory roto cast the chest armor in one piece. Problem: I don't want/need the thickness to be uniform. The problem with roto casting the helmet is I would lose the inner detail of the ear cover.
- injection cast: not sure of the correct terminology but the idea is to use a two-part mold and inject the resin with a syringe. Problem: unless the mold/resin is pressurized, I see many air bubbles (I don't have a vacuum chamber but I am not against getting one) and I may not be able to get enough pressure by hand to eliminate all the air.
- press cast: again, a two part mold whilst adding the resin to part 1 and pressing part 2 into place. The shoulder pads are press cast for example.
- Vacuum form: Although I have never tried it I have read you loose some measure of detail. The pictures are older and since then have underwent some finer details.

So if there is anyone out there that can guide me in the right direction, I would be your best friend.

For more pics, check out http://hobbywolves.blogspot.com

Cheers!

-iz
Here is the pic:

init_zero
Casual

Re: Some (complex?) casting help from noob

Postby init_zero » Sat May 26, 2012 8:10 am

This looks promising: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=115

I may have to pony up a small investment.

-iz
init_zero
Casual

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:19 am

Where are you located?

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby init_zero » Sat May 26, 2012 8:22 am

init_zero
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon May 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Hey Jesse this is some nice work you're doing here! A hobby friend of mine is into 1/6th figures so I'll have to send him a link to this thread!

The bare minimum you're going to need is a pressure casting setup. Do you have a compressor? I agree that vac forming will be unsuitable. You already found my sticky thread discussing my setup ;)

The helmet will need to be a two-part mould, but everything else will be doable as a single part split mould (this is discussed more ). You should be able to get away without the vacuum stage of the casting process many of us use (using vacuum and pressure gives the best results) by simply giving the mould plenty of squeezing in and out as you pour the resin in. Your parts are small enough in volume that you should be able to do this fairly easily.

Have you not done any casting before? What is your goal here? Do you plan to sell copies of the parts?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Arkangel » Tue May 29, 2012 5:12 am

Imp Guard Armour on a 1/6th Figure!!!! :mrgreen: Why has no-one done this before this is awesome!!
I'll be watching this with some interest. Great work Jesse :D
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby init_zero » Wed May 30, 2012 1:58 am

init_zero
Casual

Postby init_zero » Wed May 30, 2012 2:02 am

init_zero
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed May 30, 2012 7:53 am

Is your airbrushing compressor just a normal workshop compressor or an actual airbrush compressor? If the latter then it won't be suitable for casting.

You won't be able to get away with purely vacuum casting: you will need some combination of vacuum and pressure. So for that reason we generally recommend going just the pressure route when starting out. I believe the Harbour Freight 10L (however many gallons that is) paint pressure spraying pot (which is easily converted for pressure casting) is the right price. The trick with doing pressure only will be to squeeze most of the air pockets from the mould after pouring the resin in. Fortunately the size and shape of the pieces should lend them to this well enough ;)
mangozac

Postby init_zero » Wed May 30, 2012 9:04 am

init_zero
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed May 30, 2012 10:54 am

mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed May 30, 2012 11:07 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby init_zero » Wed May 30, 2012 1:48 pm

thanks Munkey. i like salt.

i downloaded the manual for this model and it says max pressure 80psi and working pressure is 30-60psi. so i interpret that to mean "not to exceed 80psi". if that's true, why put a "working" pressure max of 60psi? :!:

i think for a beginner, this model would suit my needs. now to research and review RTV and resin!

-iz
init_zero
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed May 30, 2012 3:14 pm

mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu May 31, 2012 12:40 am

Im American, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I know there are several more qualified people to answer questions than me BUT if I dont know we can always ask them too....

I hope pressure changes your world like it did mine. This site was the big step for me as I saw HOW EASY it could be and now im looking to step again to Vacuum AND pressure All because of Resin addict.

Great group here and if i can be of any help feel free to ask!! :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Next

Return to Dr Polymer