[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Blinds possible adventure in miniature casting!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Blinds possible adventure in miniature casting!

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Blinds possible adventure in miniature casting!

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeah I'm all quick connected up, i just saw someone else had it so i thought i'd ask.

Thanks,
Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 am

So i got everything together but i have like 75% of my connections leaking. How many times should i wrap the teflon tape? or should i use something else?

Thanks,
Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:43 am

This video seems pretty good (if you can handle the accent!):

He says three times around, which sounds good to me. If you want to get fancy you can buy a bottle of thread sealing compound, but the tape is far cheaper!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Soooo, finally up and running. Sorry no pics mango as i had to keep undoing and buying new stuff it was a nightmare. I have been to harbor freight 10x in the last week and i had never been their before now. The pot i got i snapped a piece off the top so i had to rearrange everything off one connection and plug the hole. Used thread lock lots on each piece to ensure it was airtight... couldnt get some pieces apart. In the end i'm working though.

I have never done anything like this before so i think it's a little weird when i fill my pot to 60 psi, I close off the valve and remove the quick connect. The pot drops to about 55 psi in a couple of minutes. then it sat right around 52-53psi for the next 9 hours while i was at work. I'm not sure if the air needed to settle or what or maybe my gauge is a little screwy, but i'm tihnking if it sits at 50+ for 9 hours it should be good to the molds under that pressure without a problem. Just think it's a little jinky. My blow off valve is 75 psi so i'm comfortable with a screw gauge as long as i have my safety release at that.

Thanks to everyone for all your assistance in this, I will have my first piece's worked on in a week once lego's and mold release arrives.

Thanks,
Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:48 am

Question. When casting multiple piece's in the same mold how much space do i need in between them?

Thanks,
Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 am

Depends, but generally only a couple of millimetres.

Odd about the indicated pressure drop in the pot, but it could be a couple of things. I wouldn't worry too much about it - mine does the same but I just leave the ball valve open so that the compressor tank keeps it maximised (although the compressor is switched off by that time).
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Dropped pressure you say... I offer a "idea" as to why from when this happened with mine.

At 65 PSI I would get a drop in pressure and it would aslo level out at around 55 psi. I found that i had a leak in my seal and I could HEAR air leak until around 55 PSI and then nothing. I removed mt o ring seal and refitted it and no problem. What was happening with mine was since it did not fit fully it would leak out till the PSI dropped enough to not force out the o ring anymore, about 55 PSI. recheck your seals and such and I think you will find your problem. Its not actually a leak (as that would drop steady) but its something being displaced by high pressure Im sure. :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 am

What is optimum casting pressure?
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Anything over 50PSI. I cast at 55.
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Previous

Return to Dr Polymer