[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Marking Silicone Molds
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Marking Silicone Molds

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Marking Silicone Molds

Postby factor40 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:44 am

In the course of building up Mad Robot Miniatures, I am also building up the number of molds I have on hand. With multiple molds for each items, they are stacking up and I still have not found a consistent way to mark them. No markers or pens will work, that I know of, and even tape will not stick to it.

Any ideas of a way to approach this, maybe adding something to the mold before I pour the silicone? What about some kind of branding/engraving? Will that create a bunch of nasty fumes?

-Steve

factor40
Habit

Re: Marking Silicone Molds

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:44 am

scotch tape stuck on with perma pen written on it? or shelfs with labels?

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby factor40 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:10 am

factor40
Habit

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:38 am

Problem is youll end up spending alot of time marking the moulds, just keep it simple, lol.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 am

I can't think of any engraving or etching techniques that would work. You could maybe try a soldering iron to burn writing into the silicone, but it might not be hot enough...

You could have an alphabet of little reversed letters you could stick into the wall of the mould box when pouring the silicone, but like Al says it's a lot of time screwing around. You could have routed or 3D print a name tag (again reversed) though.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Hiflt4 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:53 pm

after vacuum, if you dont pressure cast your molds you can with a tooth pick make marks on the back of the mold before it is done cureing leaveing a design or letter set. Or use a soldering iron to burn a mark or word into the back.
Hiflt4
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 am

mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:20 am

OK well I tried my "hypothesis" and Yes It works..... But I need something other than the clay Im using.

Heres a Breakdown of how I did it.
Got my stamp

Rolled it out

Stamped it

timmed and boxed it

poured it

let it cure and removed

Problem I had was my clay STUCK to the pour Horribly. Real Horribly. I used no release of any kind so i had it coming and I got off 99% with a stiff brush. I think the Idea is sound BUT I need some sort of release between the clay and resin to make it viable. OR I could just scrub it well after to remove clay. I used Super Sculpy today BUT I think Plasticine will give me about the same results with sticking. I may try it later.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 am

What about using mold putty? This could be a reasonable alternative to what I'm currently doing :)

factor40
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:15 am

You mad genius! DO...IT...NOW!

Post pics ASAP! LOL

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:07 am

Nice work MJ! But what I don't understand is why you're making the resin piece? In Steve's case he will need a different word each time so what about pressing the word stamp straight into the clay at the bottom of his mould box. Or into a thin piece of clay on the inner wall of the mould box?
mangozac

Postby factor40 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:23 am

Couldn't you stamp the instant mold, use clay to from the imprint and then smack it up on the side of the mold box? Then after the silicone hardens, just pull off the box and the clay with it, you could re-use the same blob of clay over and over.

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 am

Why use the clay at all? Just stamp the instant mould and stick that to the side of the mould box...

Edit: Oh I know - otherwise the text is mirrored...
mangozac

Next

Return to Dr Polymer