[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Resin spin caster.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Resin spin caster.

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Resin spin caster.

Postby Blindhorizon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:19 pm

So I've decided i want to look for a way to spin cast resin in my new apartment as i don't have the garage space i used to once i moved out of my house. I need something that makes less noise then a compressor so i decided to look into a home made spin caster. I made my pot and unfortunately i keep losing pressure in it when it goes on extended casts, such as making molds, this has frustrated me as i can't find the leak i think it's the seal. Long story short, i found some interesting pictures and i wanted to share them with everyone here. I believe what this gentlemen is using in these pictures is a modified blender, any thoughts?

http://vabiz.com/d&e/CABAL/1_48%20SEAWO ... Part-9.htm

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Re: Resin spin caster.

Postby Blindhorizon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:22 pm

I will be dedicating this thread to interesting info's i find on the web about resin spin casting.

Edit: this looks to be the beggining of the thread.
http://culttvman.com/main/?p=20733
This gentlemen talks about metal casting but also being able to do resin as well.

http://culttvman.com/main/?p=23387
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm wondering if a blender would be able to handle the weight of everything on it and still spin fast enough to cast with.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:39 am

Dear Gods Man..... This is an Odd thread indeed.

my thoughts on a Blender is that its SUPER fast rotation.... Maybe set up another type of motor with a resistance box (commonly a dimmer switch for lights) as to adjust the speeds. 10-20 thousand RPM just seems way to fast to me..... Maybe Im just not seeing it right....

I will try to read up on it some to have better input on this though.

Also have you thought about a "silencer box" for your compressor???? a crate with egg foam to dampen the noise of your compressor?? or even as I was looking into Compressed air cylinders from dive shops or welders supply?? this would give you air but not noise.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 am

I think i would be looking to do a 600rpm electric motor as what i'd like to get together to try this out.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Yes that is not a modified blender, it is a modified blood separator he picked up from a second hand store.

I didn't realise a blender was so fast on the rpm's i was thinking that it would get slowed down from the weight. I'm probably just going to look into a small electric motor. I'm not a good fabricator, but thought i would approach a machine shop and try and get a couple things made up.

The problem with silent compressors is their so expensive. Also I'm pretty interested in learning how to make a spin caster so i can i possibly make one later for doing white metal if i want too. I may end up doing the silent compressor route but my tank leaks slowly over the 12 hour set time of the silicone and i can't find the leak which is starting to piss me off to put it mildly.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:22 pm

mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:06 pm

It fully cures in 30 minutes? Because thats pretty damn awesome i didn't know there was something out there that had that short of a cure time. You are making me reconsider this quiet compressor situation as well.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Could anyone possibly recommend which bambi compressor will do what i need it to do? As i don't have the technical knowledge with these.

Edit @mango: How many pulls can you get out of pinkysill before it degrades too much to catch good detail. Also is this the pinkysil that you are talking about?
http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php ... ath=23_329

I was looking into quiet compressors, this one is 60 decibels 6.3 gallon which i think should be perfect. It doesn't have the 40 decibels of the bambi but the price is about $400 less which is a plus. Would this one work for what I'm trying to do, do you think the 60 decibels to much for an apartment complex?
http://www.sears.com/gmc-power-equipmen ... 078006501P

Thanks,
Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:13 pm

mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:39 am

Sounds like I'm going to have to go the pinkysil route, Glad i could find it cheaper and share it here where people will get good use out of it :). I'll have to keep that in mind for the smooth on as i wanted to try and use it after i ran out of the resin i have. Here's what i am using at the moment have a local tap plastic shop 5 minutes away so it's easy to aquire.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/mold ... ik_cast/74

Never even thought to go get a demonstration i'll have to do that and then i'll do a write up about it maybe even take some video on my phone so others can see and hear how it sounds.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 am

It's a bit expensive to get Pinkysil sent to the US though isn't it? Surely there's a locally available, similar product? I know that it's just a repackaged dental silicone (it's skin and food safe).

I really can't comment on the suitability of other resins available as I haven't tried them. You just have to try it out...
mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:58 am

I haven't checked yet, but i am now going to do some research to see what i can find. My master is not finished yet and until it is i got time to waste.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Hiflt4 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 pm

I wouldn't recommend casting in your apartment. Use your porch or balcony please.

Would love to see your setup and a build of your spin caster/materials used when you get it running tho.
Hiflt4
User

Next

Return to Dr Polymer