[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Oww my *ing hands!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Oww my *ing hands!

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Oww my *ing hands!

Postby paulson games » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:30 am

I normally consider myself to have fairly strong hands, but I had a run at doing 4 split molds in one sitting and could barely finish the 4th one as my hands were trembling so badly. Even an hour later they are still aching and sore from prying the molds open. Does anyone else run into this?
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Oww my *ing hands!

Postby AdamG » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:44 am

Yep, :(

I've being doing a load this weekend and my hands are aching.

I'm looking for some sort of vice that I can attach one side / end of the mould in whilst I'm cutting down into it.

I'll drop you the details if I manage to find anything useful.
AdamG
User

Postby Deadmeat30 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:04 am

Yep know the feeling... i had to do 36 moulds in one day. it was emotional.....

try some of these

Hand friendly since 1892! :P

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:19 am

Hahaha yeah I too know that feeling! Fortunately it's rare that I ever do that many moulds in one day. Out of interest Jon, what Shore hardness is your silicone?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:59 pm

It's rated at 25, not sure if the rating is supposed to go up or down for firmness. It's somewhat flexible although not as soft as the stuff I had from Tap Plastics but much softer then some of the stuff I worked with that required 24 hr set up times.

The stress comes from holding it all open while doing such tiny cuts and at the same time not trying to damage the parts. If I could just hack away at stuff without any care I doubt it'd be such a pain.

It also doesn't help that the molds are typically pretty short so there's not a lot of material to grab hold of or room for it to flex. A lot of my molds are maybe 60-70mm tall. Taller ones seem to work a lot easier.

I think I should probably take a couple minutes break time in between molds, I was trying to do all of them in rapid sucession.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Shore hardness is high = harder. Shore A 25 isn't too hard (although it's 25% harder than the stuff I use), but I can still understand why it gives sore hands. Maybe give your hands an epsom salts bath? Think sports recovery techniques on a small scale :P
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Yep, I get this!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby timdp » Thu May 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Its pretty common. Your hands will get stronger...

Bending the mold over the edge of a table or a rigidly mounted piece of round pipe helps.

Tim
timdp
Casual

Postby RageofAchilles » Sun May 11, 2014 6:34 pm

I don't get aching hands, my two part moulds just pop open because of the release agent in between them.
please forgive me , but I'm a bit baffled by split moulds, I have only seen them used in movie prop making are they superior in some way to two parts or is it a pressure casting thing?
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun May 11, 2014 9:49 pm

mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Mon May 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Also, mould lines are minimised provided you align the halves correctly (jagged cuts help).

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby timdp » Tue May 20, 2014 1:11 pm

timdp
Casual

Postby johncast » Tue May 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi Paulson Games

The RSI of cutting moulds. Can be pretty hard on the fingers

Look at the web sites of companies selling jewellery tools As a jeweller we often had to cut moulds that were vulcanized. My boss made up a good mould frame which gave the cutter a good flap of rubber something to grip to when pulling the mould apart to see the area to cut. This arrangement isn't possible with resin moulds.

There is a few small clamping tools available from these jewellery supplies places now that enable the rubber mould to be clamped with 2 clamps at the top of both halves, the clamps can then be pulled outward by turning two threaded handles either end of the stand to open the mould while you cut through freeing up your hands and stopping the stress on your fingers. Yihui Company has one in their web site, there would be several other companies as well. Worth the money if you are cutting a lot of moulds. Check to google images and type in rubber mould cutting clamp. That can put you on a web site quite quickly.

Johncast
johncast
User

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue May 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby RageofAchilles » Tue May 20, 2014 7:08 pm

My only experience of a split mould was when I forgot to use a release agent between the two halves.
so I had to cut into the side of the mould. I cant imagine being able to find fine parts in a split mould, but I appreciate the info, thanks guys :)
RageofAchilles
Habit

Next

Return to Dr Polymer